• In the Spotlight:

Does spanking a child reinforce that negative punishment

is the answer to solving problems?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• not passing judgements but here is my take on spaking(I don't):1. we tell our kids it's wrong to hit, but then we hit them to teach them something.2. if I walked up to someone and slapped them because I didn't like their behavior I could be arrested and charged w/assult-but it's ok to hit a chold?3. we teach our kids not to pick on/hit someone smaller than them("she's just a baby don't hit her") and then we hit them(and they are smaller obviously). I don't know if it is good/bad to spank-but I think it sends alot of mixed messages about how to communicate kwim?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Beautifully said, Bearsjen.
    Anonymous

• I believe in spanking, it's an effective form of discipline.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• There is a difference between spanking and beating and hitting.

Spanking involves a hand or paddle on the butt.

Beating involves bruising, broken bones and hopefully losing your kids if you beat them.

Hitting involves a closed fist connecting to some part of the body.
    Anonymous

• Spanking is fine. Have you ever watched "Nanny 911", those children have needed spankings for a while and never received them.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• i agree with sydsmom
    mom2b23869

Answer by mom2b23869 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Oh and to actually answer your question..I think it shows them that you mean business and if they do not do what is asked of them, their ass will be hurting.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Spanking is always a hot topic, and although it isn't something I do regularly, I do belive that it can be usefull at times. Spanking should only be used in cases where the parent needs the point made now.....running in the street would be a good example.

I also believe that any puishment used all the time, can over time, become less effective. So if spanking is the only form of punishment, they don't learn how severe thier actions are. Levels of punishment I guess is what I am trying to say, levels that fit the actions, not just a one size fits all.

Hope that made sence!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I have only had to resort to spanking a couple of times when nothing else has worked. I would NEVER use anything other than my hand however!!! My "spankings" are usually just little swats on their butts to make them go "oh Mama means it".
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 3:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I think if you spank a child they will not do bad things again because they dont want to get spanked.
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2009