What do u do when your baby is not really crazy about solid foods? Do you hold off and not force it?

I have a soon to be six month old and she is not to crazy about the solid foods. The doctor said that at four months old I could start her on solid foods. She especially is not real fond of the fruits. I have tried offering the fruits and veggies and I have been through all of the first foods. Also when do you move up and feed the second foods and the meats? Help.

LADYBUGB69

Asked by LADYBUGB69 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't force it.
    My almost 6 month old doesn't like the thin foods. He likes his thicker... so I would try adding a little rice cereal and play with the textures.
    Also, try making some of your own... it's REALLY easy! It might taste better to her.
    For applesauce: 6 apples (I do 3 Granny Smith, 3 Golden) Peel and core and cut up in chunks. Microwave covered 5 mins, cool 5 mins and then cook another 3-5 mins until soft. Then toss in a food processor or blender with all the juices. Until the texture you want. It's YUMMY! You can then freeze it in an icecube tray overnight... pop them out into a baggie...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• You want to avoid meats until 8 months. Aside from that, you should just go slow and not force her. The solids at this age are not intended for nutritional value, but for learning experience. The second foods are designed for children that mastered the first foods and are sitting up well on their own.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• maybe her taste buds are not sending the right signals so it tastes bad to her. she really is ok on formula/breast milk until a yr, but I never waited that long. Maybe just wait a couple months and try again. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• If you force it baby will hate it more. I just tried weekly until mine began to accept them. That was around 11 months she decided solids were ok.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• You can also start trying finger foods.

It might be the texture. Two of mine wouldn't eat babyfood right out of the jar. I had to thicken it with cereal and they went nuts! go figure.....

But the others are right...don't force it. There's no point in having her dislike food now.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• blech. maybe its because youre feeding her food from a jar? Its very easy to make your own baby food--cook and puree. DD liked eating fresh foods much better when she first started.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2009