I can't wrap my mind around this

I guess it's because I have only raised one child but anyway, we want to adopt and would really like to adopt a sibling group of 3 from foster care which would make us a family of 6 total. How do you financially do it? My husband makes about $55,000 a year and we don't spend beyond our means but it is still scary to think "can we support a family that large?" I stay home now to homeschool which actually saves us a lot and I grow a garden and he hunts. Is anyone else a large family and living on this type income? Is it enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Adoption

• Right now there are 5 people in our family (me, husband, and three children) and we make approximately the same amount. Depending on where you live, and what your state determines, sibling groups are usually classified as "special needs" because it is difficult to place them together and therefore adoption subsidies might be available. Not that it's a huge amount, but we use ours for their college funds. Hope that helps.
    Anonymous

• We're a family of 6 living in So. Calif. on $60K/year. Our 4 kids are adopted too (we love adoption!). Adoption within the US can be much less expensive for a sibling group - & there are 5000+ kids in each state waiting for a family. Often internat'l adoptions don't give much of a "break" on the expenses. We too have chosen for me to stay home, so decisions are made very carefully. Ent'ment that costs $$ is a treat & everyday life made a joy (as much as possible). The kids will be adjusting & just helping them "learn the ropes" is very consuming. The key is to make living enjoyable while concentrating on relationship building.
    Since moving to California (2 yrs ago due to the health of one of our kiddos), I have also started to work from home. It's tough with all those little lives depending on us, but it lifts a bit of the financial strain too.
    God bless!
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 5:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• well I am a mom to 5 children and one on the way. I also gave my first child up for adoption so that puts me at 7 total that I have had. We barely made 25K last year and we are still here LOL. We also have NO credit card debt, no car payments and we do not own our own home though either. We also homeschool. It saves a bunch for us in the end and I love it! Anyone can make it on any amount as long as you try. Also with adoption you will get the adoption credit at the end of the year which is a pretty good helper as well as if any of the children have any problems you will probably be able to get a stipen for that which would add to your monthly income. I hope this helps you and God Bless you for wanting to do this for this larger group of older children~ I am sure it is a big decision but what a nice thing to do!
    momof6inSC

Answer by momof6inSC at 11:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• We currently have 8 children in our household. 4 are foster kids who have a subsidy and the other 4 are grandchildren who don't. We make it on less then $25,000 per year but we eat what we grow in our garden, butcher our own beef, etc. On $55,000 you should be able to do it if you watch your money and don't have a lot of debt.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I am sure that the children will probably have adoption subsidies. They would likely be from $300-$400 per child depending upon their ages and special needs.
    joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 6:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Thanks I feel a bit more relaxed about it now. Where there's a will, there's a way right??
    Anonymous