How do you retrain a 3.5 year old to go #2 on the potty. She sneaks and puts on pull ups.

I hide the pull ups and she throws a temper tantrum. Yesterday she was throwing such a fit that she was pulling out her hair. Her father could not take it and gave her a pull up. I was tring to ignore her. I told her that there were no more pull ups. So she tried to put on a diaper. (I have a 2 year old also)

She claims that her poop is too big and it is going to get stuck in the potty. I have tried explaining, but she is insitant that she is correct and I am wrong.

***********she has never pooped in underwear************

ferja333

Asked by ferja333 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You used the word "retrain", so was she potty trained already? If so, do you know what might have caused her to regress concerning using the potty for #2?

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I have a friend who's 4 year old ONLY pooped in the pullup. He would walk around in underwear and pee in the potty, but as soon as he felt the poop coming he would ask for a pullup. She let him do so. Sure enough when he started going to school and saw all his peers going in the potty, he didn't want to poop in the pullup anymore.

Good luck,
    Mom2Rebekah

Answer by Mom2Rebekah at 8:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• ***************************************************************
    She was constipated one time, I let her put on a pull up. Ever since then it is the only way she will poop.
    ***************************************************************************
    ferja333

Answer by ferja333 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think you yourself already have the answer. Get rid of all the pull-ups and put the diapers were she can't get to them. If there are none then her daddy can't give in! She knows that if she throws a big enough fit, then someone will give in and get her a pull-up. My daughter was afraid it would hurt to have a BM and she would try to hold it. Watch her and catch her if she tries to hold it or go in her panties. Make sure if she is on a regular toilet that her feet have a stool or something under them and sit with her and calming talk with her if she if afraid. Maybe sit and read a book or listen to music. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2009