Food stamps and free lunch at school???

I don't understand this...my sister gets 580 a month in food stamps and her kids get free lunch at school. If she is getting food stamps why can't she use the food stamp money to pack her kids lunch? I know she has more than enough because over the summer she is able to feed them 3 meals a day without problems.... I mean the schools have NO money. Don't you think that someone who gets food stamps should pack there kids lunch and then maybe the schools would have money for things like book and extra programs like music and art???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Sep. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not saying your sister feeds her kids unhealthy but I'm fine with it because some kids get a healthier meal from the schools than at home because the goverment tells them what to serve and how.
    I'm not for anyone double dipping so if you think she is doing that I think she is wrong. My ex roommate has food stamps and wic, I feel if she needs foodstamps she doesn't need wic.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2011

• – collapse
    I get both. And can I just say... Its none of your fucking business! Get off your high horse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Sep. 17, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• – collapse

clapping

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Damn, $580? I would be super happy if I had that much money to go toward groceries.

And you would think so, but those programs aren't linked in that aspect. They go by income and she qualifies so no use getting aggravated about it.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2011

• Its none of your fucking business! Get off your high horse

It is my business. It is my kid that is going to a school that has no budget what so ever just like EVERY other school within 50 miles of where i live. The way that the school district spends money is my business. And I think that this is a completely valid question!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2011

• They go by income and she qualifies so no use getting aggravated about it

. maybe i am not sure how it works but, my sister showed me a letter from the school saying that because her kids were receiving food stamps they automatically get free lunch and that my sister didn't even have to apply for it.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:02 AM on Sep. 17, 2011

• Here, you are automatically approved for free lunch if your on food stamps.
    I would say that the schools are required to serve lunch. They can't just take half the student population and refuse to feed them. But using your logic, kids who pay full price for lunch shouldn't eat at school either because their parents have the money to buy and pack their lunch. Then there would be no need for a cafeteria at all since everyone falls into one of 2 catagories. 1. you get food stamps and thus should have the money to buy groceries and pack lunch, or 2. you make too much money for free or reduced lunch, therefor you have plenty of money to buy groceries to send to school.
    IndigoP5ycho

Answer by IndigoP5ycho at 2:05 AM on Sep. 17, 2011

• Probably because they go by the same income guidelines and they saw she was approved for that so they just approved her for the lunch automatically also.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 2:06 AM on Sep. 17, 2011

• I'm guessing she probably has her kids take the free lunch rather than packing a lunch because it's free and easier because she doesn't have to do anything. Some folks just don't care as long as it's free for them.

Also, I didn't realize that free and reduced school lunches were paid for by the schools themselves. I had assumed that they were paid for by a government program that is funded by taxpayers like The National School Lunch Program.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Sep. 17, 2011

• clappingshoutingclapping

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Sep. 17, 2011