Severe constipation? adult content

My 3 year old holds in her poop. I see her do it. She eats 75% fruit- berries, cherries, watermelon, bananas, apples, kiwi, mango, avocado, plum, grapes. She drinks smoothies made with these things, veggies, and fat-free yogurt. All her bread and crackers are wole grain, she eats 0 fast food or corn syrup, and she doesn't eat dairy besides the yogurt. I give her prune juice to drink every morning, and the last time she pooped was Monday (with a suppository). It's now Saturday, I have given her another suppository and she's holding in her poop again. I have her quarantined until she goes, with an enema if necessary. The fact that she eats more than your average adult, in high-fiber roughage, and still manages to hold it in for a week honestly amazes me. What do I do? Nothing is working. Her stomach is ridiculously swollen. I've taken her to 2 doctors, who say "give her healthy food" and that's it, I guess they look at my hefty girl and figure she must be eating nothing but Mickey D's.

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 8:16 AM on Sep. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I'd take her back to the doctor asap. In the meantime, since all else has failed, an enema may be your only option.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2011

• I son had to take miralax when he was younger for constipaton.

ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2011

• You could consider consulting a pediatric GI to make sure there isn't a physical reason for her withholding her feces. The doctor may also be able to offer you more concrete advice than "give her healthy food".
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• Take her to GI Doctor
    mommy2lacey2003

Answer by mommy2lacey2003 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2011