Epidural/No epidural.

If I have a vaginal birth, which may not be possible, I just wanted to know what your views on both are? Disadvantages/Advantages of each. Thank you ladies.

tripletmomtobe

Asked by tripletmomtobe at 1:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have had both. My first three were without because the Dr I had just didnt do them. It was fine and I still had other drugs like Demerol. Then with my 4th I had to be induced as an emergency and I tried to go without one but pitocin sucks and I ended up getting an epidural. It was great. The only issue I have had are these:
    1. With my 5th they did it wrong and I still felt pain on half my body so you want to make sure they know what they are doing and get it early to avoid this issue. By the time they fixed mine I was at 9.
    2. When you push its harder to feel when you should. It made my 4th & 5th pregnancy labors longer because of that.

Answer by gemgem at 1:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• If you have an epidural, you will not be in pain. If you don't have an epidural you will be in pain.

Answer by louise2 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I refuse to get an epidural. Too many risks. I will always go with IV drugs over an epidural any day but I am hoping to go 100% pain med free this time.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Pros: allows you to be awake if you have a C-section, Obviously little to no pain which can some times help enhance labor if mother is exhausted.
    Cons: can prolong the 2nd stage of labor, once you have it you are not allowed to get out of the bed, increases the likelihood of forceps or vacuum, increases the likelihood or needing a pitocin , can cause the baby’s heart rate pattern to change, bad headaches can occur if the epidural goes spinal, may lower blood pressure, expensive.
    Hope that helps good luck
    Alorasmommy

Answer by Alorasmommy at 2:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Well--- if you have an epidural you might very well still be in pain, as this happens for many moms. (And then are still forced to remain in bed, not working with the natural instincts of birth.)

And if you have a drug-free birth you might have no (or little) pain (without the risks!).

:-)

For moms with healthy pregnancies, birthing as close to natural as possible is safest & healthiest for the baby and the mom.   Each intervention (especially when not working with her body), the mom adds risks.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Everything Alorasmommy said and:

If you have an epidural, you must lay on your back. Labouring and birthing on your back is NOT the best position, and it may prolong pushing (which you will feel every bit of. You just won't feel contractions with an epidural), or lead to a need for an emergency C-sec.

Not to mention the risk of paralysis.

Birthing a baby with no meds is liberating. I've done it both ways. My med-free labour was a beautiful and intense experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• If I do decide the have a third, I'm not sure what I will do. With my first, I was going crazy. And I finally got my epideral, right before it was too late. I had to push forever, and I was so groggy afterward. ( also had stitches) With my son, They gave me the epideral and about 10 minutes later, I stopped itching and realized I was in pain. And the nurse said that she turned it up or whatever, and no one believed me! IT wasn't working! I pushed for less than five minutes and felt fine, just a little sore. @nd was a lot bigger than my first!) So it turned out that the needle had came out or somthing. I didn't care, as long as they knew then! Even though it was to late. My friends and some family were so suprised when I called to say "I just had Carson". And all commented on my crabbiness after my first.
    twibug08

Answer by twibug08 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I went natural, unmedicated. Labor pain is temporary, the risks of the epidural can be long lasting...headaches, loss of spinal fluid, infection, grogginess, even the chance of being paralyed. No way! I did a lot of swaying, squatting, breathing, humming and just tried to stay relaxed. If you're able to move around and not be restricted/be in control of yourself, you can see what works to manage your pain and effectively push. Also, the high after natural birth is amazing! It's just crazy. I had an 8lb 3oz baby boy in just over 4 1/2 hours with 10 minutes of pushing. It's possible, just don't fear birth-be empowered by it!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• oh god girl go for it it is great. i didn't have it with my first two but with the third one they didn't even give me a choice they gave me the epidural and it was wonderful
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I had 3 epis and no problems with any of them.

Anonymous