When do I have to start classes? I am 20 weeks pregnant

Since February, we live in the US, we come from Holland, could someone help me with this?

Wende407

Asked by Wende407 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What type of classes are you talking about? Is it birthing classes?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I meant to say....if it is birthing classes then of course it is optional. Some women take them and some don't. You should sign up around 36-37 weeks pregnant. Ask your OB/GYN for classes that are available or contact your local hospital.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• There is really no set time you should start I when to a baby basics class when i was 25 weeks. so really is up to you but i would for sure to it before you are 37 weeks cause you dont want to be signed up for a class and not beable to go cause you went in to labor. but really its all up to you.
    Alorasmommy

Answer by Alorasmommy at 2:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Birthing is a lot different in the US that in Holland. The hospitals there are more like Birth Centers here. (I wanted to forewarn you, if you didn't know.) What are you looking for, natural birth, husband-coached, etc? I have some info to share, depending on what you're looking for. Are you high-risk?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• what are birth centers? And what do you mean with a big differance (sorry for my spelling...)
    Wende407

Answer by Wende407 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• What I mean is that the Dutch system is what many strive for. Amazing maternity care with midwives at the root, as primary care providers. The women receive better care and the statistics are exceptional.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• (sorry, it wouldn't let me type the rest there...)

There are 2 kinds of birth centers:

Hospital-run with/without doctors, under the medical model (often inside or connected to the hospital).

And Freestanding, non-hospital affiliated, midwife run birthing places (Away from a hospital.)

Depending on the needs each woman has, she can choose different kinds of care in the dfferent locations.

I love the freestanding birth centers because it's like a homebirth in someone else's home. The midwives offer more individualized, one-on-one care ("continuity of care") through labor & birth. In a hospital the nurses come and go, the OB usually comes in at the end.

Prenatally, the care is different, too. More/less time to ask, talk, get answers.

In Holland, the care is more one-on-one and all.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• So... after all that, lol! Getting into a birth class might be a really great idea if you're interested in doing it. If you want a natural hospital birth, for example, I have a lot of suggestions. Some classes like Bradley, Birthing From Within, and getting a Birth Doula would be really helpful.

(Is this your first baby? Who will be with you for labor, delivery?)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2009