I just found out my 15 year old drinks sometimes when she is with her friends what do I do?

How do I trust her to go anywhere since she thinks its ok to drink a little?

swshady

Asked by swshady at 2:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think teen will do what they want...
    So I would educated her as best you can on "party" life. Risks of binge drinking, risks of being drunk and the dumb things she might do, what will happen if she is caught, risk of the date rape drug at parties, dangers of drunk driving... get her really thinking so she can make smart choices of her own.
    I would also stress the dangers of other drugs too... (especially prescription drugs they are the new rage)
    In addition make it safe for her to call you if she has been drinking and needs your help
    In addition teach her how to say "no" when she doesn't want to drink and maybe buy some stuff for her to taste at home with you. Sounds crazy... but sometimes they just wonder what it's like! My dad did this with my sister and I and neither of us ever had an reason to go out and party.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I use to go out and party but my dad and mom just started buying me some stuff and let me have friends over so i never had a reason to go out and i think it made them happy knowing i was at home and if something happened they could be right there.

So about the drinking, You can NEVER stop her like really.... you can try all you want but if you forbid her too she just will drink more, I agree with the pp that you should just educate her on "party" life
    almostamommyof2

Answer by almostamommyof2 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• AmiJanell has the best answer. Give her knowledge, advice and hope she'll make the right decision. She just might when she feels like she's trusted and doesn't have to hide.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Tell her you know the temptations to follow the group, but to call as soon as she feels pressured, etc. Let her know parties do get busted and then she's looking at an underage drinking fine, Court, classes and overseen by the Court. A typical teen thing can turn ugly really quick. Any way of letting her invite her friends to your home so you can make sure there is no alcohol? Remember, alcohol affects new "drinker" alot sooner. Lastly, if you know where the party is possibly being held, don't be afraid to call the police to check. Sounds rough, but rather safe than sorry. Happened to us and we called it in and thank God, he was convulsing on the floor at the party, medics were on hand and everything turned out okay. Hard lesson to learn but sometimes gotta do what we gotta do to keep them from doing it again until it becomes a true addiction or worse. Good luck and hope for the best.
    Squirrel1001

Answer by Squirrel1001 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2009