natural birth or epideral

Im getting more and more interested in natural birth. My mother in law has done it with all 7 of her children and she recomends it. i guess the main thing that scares me is if i can actually handle it. i hear great thiings aabout it. i heard that epideral can make you tired and drowsy and you may not want to push if its a long delivery. i just want to here opions from third parties?

Seretesi

Asked by Seretesi at 4:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• With my 1st I tried to go all natural I guess the pain from being induced was just too much and I had an epideral an 8cm dilated I never got tired at all and after my epi my labor went faster by the time my contractions were painless again which was 20 minutes later I was ready to push. I am hoping this child will come naturally without being induced so that I can try to go all natural again but I plan to have the epi ready just in case.
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 5:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Natural is always the best way to go. However, I am a wuss and I had the epidural, at my doctor's request of course. If you go with the epidural make sure you read all the risks involved to you and the baby. It can slow labor and make pushing difficult unless you have someone telling you a contraction is coming. But I had epidurals all four times with no problems. I do recommend demerol first, because inserting the epidural while you're having a contraction is not alot of fun.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I HAD AND EP. BUT I HAD AN ELERGIC REACTION AND IT CAUSED ME TO BREAK OUT....SO MA NEXT TO KIDS I WENT NATURAL...AND THE PAN WAS TO MUCH..BUT I HAD TO TAKE IT...SO NATURAL AND EP. WILL B DIFFICULT IN THERE OWN WAYS
    bossrenee

Answer by bossrenee at 5:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I had an epidural and had no problems feeling the contractions or pushing. In fact my labor was not progressing until I had the epidural so I actually blame getting the epidural so late on having to have an emergency C-section. I had just started pushing when my son's heart rate went up and I got a high temperature due to fatigue from being in labor for 24 hours.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 6:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• NATURAL
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My cousin had the epidural. Through the whole thing wen she wants to pee SHE COULDN'T FEEL IT! It jus trikles dwn. lol. They had to keep draining her, even after she had the baby. It's like she couldn't pee for herself, b/c she couldn't feel dat she wanted to pee. I did my birth NATURALY an so I will be doing it AGAIN for the second time come December.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 6:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I had an epidural both times and it was great. However, I'm a big wimp and have no pain tolerance. If you can go natural, then do it!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I had my son naturally in a natural birthing center. It was intense, but I thought it was amazing. It was definately empowering! I also became more in-touch with myself. I personally would only do it naturally, but everyone is different. Do what you think is best for you. There are pros and cons to all options. If you try natural and change your mind, that is always fine too!
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I told my doc to the last minute I wasn't sure what I wanted, after the water broke, I wanted an epidural soooo bad. So let your doc know and make your decision than.
    papai

Answer by papai at 10:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Natural! I agree with a previous comment-it's so empowering. You have this burst of energy afterwards. You & the baby are alert, ready to bond (hopefully breastfeed) and enjoy that time together without complications from any medication. Once you get into the epidural territory, your labor can stall-pitocin is introduced and the c-section rate increases. Just believe in your body-you can do it!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2008