SMART ALICK AT TWO YEARS OLD

how should i respond to my daughter telling me no when i tell her to do something i tried time out and she responded NO MOMMY NO NO and started screaming and crying shes pushing my buttons and im a little cranky because im 5 months pregnant help and i need it ASAP

mom2b23869

Asked by mom2b23869 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you TELL her to do something and she says "no" by all means....into time out and leave her there. When she's done with her little fit, and quiet, then tell her she can get out of time out when she's ready to do what you told her to do. And leave her there....maybe 30 seconds and it might take her 30 minutes to decide to do as you said. Remember, when she's in timeout that means no toys, no TV, no books and no YOU.

Now....be careful...because if you're ASKING her to do something and she says "no"...she's answering your question. Yes...they know the difference!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• well she isnt being a smart aleck. she has found the power of the word no, and what a powerful word it is. I agree with the PP if you ask her then you are giving her permission to say no because a question can have a yes or no answer. If you tell her to do something, no question implied (two yr olds are smart enough to know when its a question and when its not), then you need to follow through and have her do it.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• THANKYOU I PUT HER IN TIME OUT SHES IN HER ROOM BUT SHE WONT STOP CALLING MY NAME DO I IGNORE OR RESPOND
    mom2b23869

Answer by mom2b23869 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• You tell her that when she calms down you will talk to her. Responding to her when she gets out of sorts just encourages the behavior.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Well, my personal feeling is to chose a different time out spot. My concern has always been that by using their room as punishment, I would be taking the chance that they'd start to hate their room, hate going to bed and it would maybe create other problems...

However...if she's in time out, ignore her while she is throwing her fit. Once she is done, and if she calls you, then go to her. "Are you ready do do what you were told?"

If yes....go with her, make sure she does as told and then praise/thank her for doing a good job and doing what she was supposed to do.

If no..."well, then stay in time out until you are ready to do as told"
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• There is no simple answer to your question! Every child is different! I have found with my child that when I talk to her and tell her how I am feeling she actually understands more. A lot of times they don't understand and they are as frustrated as we are. I have explained to my 24 month old time out is so we can calm down then talk about it. I tell her I need a time out because i am feeling sad. I tell her mommy need to think so i can talk to her more calm. I wish I new more! I will be following the responces you get myself.
    AlyConMom

Answer by AlyConMom at 3:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2009