How long should I wait after a vaginal delivery to resume having sex?

I know most books I've read, and my doctor, say 6 weeks--to ensure I have a new form of birth control in place...but I'm wondering if at 4 weeks it would be too early (using condoms of course) if I have completely healed and a bleeding a very minimal amount. I had no perineal tearing and have no pain left in any areas, just the small amount of bleeding still occuring.

kwillister

Asked by kwillister at 2:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• I think it will be absolutely fine if you have sex now =] I was sewn up for 45 minutes and I didn't wait the whole 6 weeks.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• ya its ok to have sex now i had stitches front to back i only waited 2 weeks
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I waited until about 2-4 weeks. I just made sure that he was careful and not forceful. I was okay after that.
    xxsweetpeaxx68

Answer by xxsweetpeaxx68 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• if it doesn't hurt you. it still hurt for me after 8 weeks, but give it a try.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 2:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I'm glad my hubby isn't reading this. He'd really feel cheated, I made him wait the whole 6 wks. If you feel fine go for it.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 3:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I made mine wait the whole six weeks too.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 4:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• if you're ready go for it! docs say six weeks to make sure you'll healed properly, but if you want to and it doesn't hurt, i say jump him! :))
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 4:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I was always told 6 weeks but I honestly couldn't wait that long; we did it after 4 weeks time.
    Anonymous

• u should be good
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 5:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I was so flustered as a new mom that when I went for my 6 weeks check-up my doctor said he'd write a note to my husband to get me out of having sex for a whole year!

Seriously though, your doctor should let you know when it's 'safe' to have sex again.
    PurpleCristal

Answer by PurpleCristal at 7:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2009