• In the Spotlight:

Need a chili recipe

We are about to have the chili cook off at church and I need a good recipe.

JonahsMom1107

Asked by JonahsMom1107 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• too long to post here. I sent it in a message
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I have a recipe I made up as I went a couple of years ago for our Church's chili cook-off. If you're interested in it send me a message, I have it on my flash drive, not on my computer so I have to hunt that down if you're wanting the recipe =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I saute onions and green peppers, then brown the meat. After draining the fat, add everything to a large pot. Add either crushed tomatoes (if you like it chunky) or tomato sauce (if you like it smoother). Then add the chili spice mix. If you like it hot, add a few drops of hot sauce or some red pepper flakes or cumin, etc at this time too. Add a few cans of regular baked beans (like the brown sugar ones), this gives them a great taste, it's sweet and spicy at the same time. I simmer it in the crock pot all day, adding small amounts of water as needed to keep it soupy.

Sorry it's not exact, I eyeball everything, but the chili comes out great everytime.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I've won the chili cook off at my work the last three years. There's about 10 enteries - one woman made two and was really upset when I won again. She even said that I told people which one was mine and told them to vote for it. The funny thing is, everything I use I get from Aldi and she used her own special stewed tomatoes that she grew in her garden this year. HA!

I don't really have a special recipe but I do use a lot of cumin - that is what gives it the "chili" taste. I also keep the grease from the hamburger. Not the healthiest but it does taste good. I also make it the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. The next day I put it in the crockpot and heat it. Chili is usually better the next day. Good luck!!!
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 9:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2009