Vasectomy

Hubby and I have been married for 5 years. I'm 26, he's 24. We have 2 beautiful children, Ana is 3.5 and Chase is 17 months. I want more, lots more! BUT hubby says we're done, but if I had left it up to him, we would never have had kids. Both of ours were surprise blessings! I am holding onto SO MUCH baby stuff, boxes and boxes full and won't get rid of them until I KNOW we are done. I told him that if he is sure we are done, then I want him to get fixed. I am NOT about to take the pill for 20 more years! I have gone through the pros and cons on Vasectomy versus Tubal Ligation and am almost 100% sure he needs to be fixed! BUT what I can't find are the guidelines. Is he too young? Does he have enough children to even think about this procedure? I tried looking online, but I figured you ladies could give me your opinion and help. Thanks!

momofana82

Asked by momofana82 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Health

• I think there is an age minimum for a woman to get a tubal ... I would assume the same would go for a man. I wouldn't even know where to look for that information though. You could call your insurance company, I'm sure they know.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I guess it doesn't hurt to talk to the doctor about it. I am in a similar situation. I refuse to take the pill or use a IUD. I am ok witth other bc methods though. My husband says no more kids (we have two boys) but we are really young and I want more someday (not anytime soon). He is going to look into it. I will support him even though I don't think its a good idea. We both need to agree on more kids if its going to happen anyways, plus we can adopt later anyways.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I think they have to be like 21 with at least 2 kids. Go make an appointment, vasectomy is the BEST thing that will ever happen to you!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Guidelines? Shouldn't it be up to the person weather or not they want to have a vasectomy? What if they are under the age of 21 and have like 3 kids already? Idk, I think thats weird. If I was you I would just call the doctors office and ask =] I want my hubby to get one eventually, but he is very afraid to, esp after I told him that my BIL has gotten infections. =\
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Ask his Dr for a recommendation to a Urologist. They will tell you all you need to know. When my husband had his He had to be at least 26. Two living children and our youngest had to have reached his 3rd birthday.. After multiple C-sections it was SO his turn. LOL. Remember vasectomies are not immediately effective. LOTS of women get pregnant in that first 6 weeks after. Before you have unprotected sex he will need to go back to the urologist who will test his ejaculate for sperm. If there is even one dead one you have to wait until it comes back Zero sperm live or dead. BTW Sex after vasectomy is great. No worries,about pregnancy and more spontaneous .
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• What does he say about a vasectomy? You do have to be a certain age and have so many children , but does he want to do it, not you, Him?
    Anonymous

• I think you are both a bit young to be considering permanent steralization. There are other considerations the docotor will make you adress before doing the procedure:

http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/vasectomy-14387

There are also other forms of BC than the pill which you can talk about with your doctor. You can revisit a vasectomy in another 10 years.
    BusyMom71

Answer by BusyMom71 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Go to www.quiverfull.com to get the real facts on any type of sterilization.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 4:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• And I agree you're too young to make such a long-term decision. We had out last when he was 46 and I was 44.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 4:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Quote: "What does he say about a vasectomy? You do have to be a certain age and have so many children , but does he want to do it, not you, Him? "

Im going to assume since he didnt want kids to start with, and doesnt want anymore... THAT'S THE ONLY ANSWER!! He can get a reversal later if he decides otherwise. Why would YOU go in for a major surgery and mess up your "cycle"... when they can just snip, and be done, literally before the hour is up!

The reasoning for having an age limit is because they are taking into consideration divorces and a change of mind, later. Messed up huh?

Stephie_momof_2

Answer by Stephie_momof_2 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2009