How do I get him to sleep!?

I have an almost 6 month old who wakes 5-6 times a night... sometimes more! We are so drained. We have tried just about everything. My husband wants to let him CIO, but I don't. We let him for 15 minutes today and it didn't do anything but make him mad and hate his crib the next nap time. I won't have him sleep with us. He eats baby food and breastmilk before bed. He doesn't take a pacifier. He has a crib toy that helps a little. He has a routine at night and it's been the same his whole life. We have tried medication, thinking it was pain from teething. He have tried swaddled and unswaddled. He has music in his room, we have also tried white noise and no sound.

He doesn't seem to sleep too much during the day... maybe 4 hours total. But is only getting about 6 hours at night with all the waking up... maybe less.

I know babies wake... but this is a bit much!

Any suggestions?

AmiJanell

Asked by AmiJanell at 2:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why no co-sleeping? My kids never slept for long periods of time unless they were next to me. Being near my heartbeat helped them sleep. I do not allow cio either. You may also want to try the book "the no cry sleep solution". they may have some tips. But do not let your lo cio. Remember also that this won't last forever.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Is he hungry when he wakes? You don't mention that you tried feeding him. If he's waking and eating...he's hungry. There's nothing to be done about that.

Stop the baby food before bed. It doesn't have as many calories, it's filling his tummy so he's not taking as much breastmilk. More breastmilk = more calories = more possible sleep.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• He's still only 6 months, and if you bf then you still have to do it in the middle of the night.
    Anonymous

• We don't cosleep because then I can't sleep at all... I'm too paranoid.
    He isn't usually hungry at night... he will eat twice of the 5-6 times he gets up.
    The food before bed hasn't changed his milk intake at all. And he breastfeeds before and after food.
    And yes, I expect he will get up to eat at night... I don't have a problem getting up a couple of times... but 6 times is way too often!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• What time do you put him tp bed? If he's only sleeping 6 hours at night, he is probably waaaayyy overtired. Perhaps try an earlier bedtime?
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 3:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• sorry forgot to add--if he's overtired he will not sleep well.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 3:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Did you research how to CIO or did you just leave him to cry and wait for him to fall asleep I don't know if I agree with CIO techniques, but there is more to it then just leaving you baby to cry. You can either go in and soothe him for short periods and then leave. He'll cry again and you come back to check/soothe him but increase the time you wait each time you leave the room. Some techniques allow you to pick you baby up to soothe him, some say not to. Try looking up different sleep methods on Babycenter.com. It talks about the pros and cons of all methods and what are good resources on each.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Sometimes in the colder months we have a tendency to "hold" up in our homes to stay warm and enjoy the coziness. :) At the same time, your baby may have a need to have more activity. Most people feel that just playing on the floor or being carried around and baby playing in his playpen is enough, but if your little guy is still waking, then his body is storing his energy and waking during the nite. I would try one morning planned nap and let him sleep in his room where he'll have a deeper sleep. For the rest of the day, let him cat nap, which sleep experts say is a lighter sleep and usually doesn't impede nite rest. I was able to help my babies sleep a good 12 hours solid and they were happy and more content during the day.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 3:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• cont....Sleep experts also agree that children will continue this much sleep (at nite) till they are much older. The brain needs the quality rest in order to be balanced and more stable in the day. Sometime during the day try to take your little man out for a good brisk stroller ride. This stimulates his brain and his body. Be sure and talk to him about everything you see while on your walk. The fresh air is excellent and the walk good for mommy and baby. :) Hope this helps.
    lifeasinoit

• Have you tried the Magic Sleepsuit. It worked wonders with my children.
    moking

Answer by moking at 3:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2009