Where you a strong-willed "wild angel"?

My daughter will be 3 years old in a month and is very strong-willed and always has, it's her personality. She knows what she wants and will fight for it to the end. I know it'll be good for her in the future but right now it's causing her and I to fight a lot, as if she was 16. I'm always yelling at her because she never listens, and I know that most the time it's simply just to go against me. I was wondering if any of you were like that with YOUR MOTHERS when you were young and what she could have done, how she should have aproached things, to make your relationship better.

kira_5105

Asked by kira_5105 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yep I was that way and still am. My mom and me fought ALL THE TIME until i was around 30 LOL. Basically what can help is giving her her space. She is 3 and needs guidance and will her whole life but you also need to let her do some things she is intent on doing so she can learn not to do them. Obviously dont let her do the things thatll severely injure her or anything but little things will help her learn you are there to guide & help her not argue. Understand?
    Also since shes so young try using reverse psychology. The obvious stuff shes doing to make you angry just say thats ok fine by me. Then she will likely do what you want her to do thinking you dont want her to.

Answer by gemgem at 3:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My son is the SAME way--he's brought me to tears before in frustration. I bought this book Setting Limits with your Strong-Willed Child by Robert J. Mackenzie, ED.D.  It's been really helpful for us!!

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2009