Is my DD 'average' 'bright' or 'gifted' How do you know before they are even in school?

DD is 3.5

She writes her name and can write _most_ letters with out a model to copy. It is still big and chunky but she remembers the shape on her own.

She knows all of her letters and letter sounds and is beginning to sound our short words as well as quickly learning our states Kindergarten sight word list. I really feel she will be reading step 1 books in her own in the next few months

She can copy and predict simple patterns (3-5 steps) and is starting to add and subtract single digits. usually without manipulative.

She has a spoken vocabulary that rivals my 7 year olds and knows how to use it.

Her reading comprehension is on target with my son who is in second grade (but reading at 1st grade level) She can retell a story and she can predict endings as well as make self to text comparisons.

I have been teaching her hat home and she is to young for pre-k this year. If I keep working with her is she going to be WAY ahead of her class and be bored?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sounds like my dd! lol yet my dd gets frustrated easily and we have a hard time practicing...... yes  she is smarter than a normal 3 year old but she shouldn't get bored and if the school thinks she is to smart they will put her in gifted classes gl!

cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• My daughter was very ahead. By first Grade she had finished the 8th grade spelling list. She was reading well before everyone else and is brilliant. However, she actually was not considered TAG and slowed down at a point. You can have your child TAG tested.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• DS was reading at 3.
    IQ tested at 6.5....results 148!!!

Your DD sounds average for a kid who is worked with.
    Montessori 2-3 y/o's are reading, adding, reciting poems, knows solar system, states, presidents etc.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• interestingly, gifted children are rare. the development of each child is different and some do so quicker
    laurad1959

Answer by laurad1959 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• My son was like that. He wrote at 3, was reading before kindergarten. It really meant nothing. It all evened out by second grade. Noe in HS he really struggles in school. Some kids just learn earlier than others.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• I should add my Dh was in the gifted program and his SAT scores was almost perfect so it is genetically possible for her to be above average.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• It's possible she's gifted, but as a parent I'd really try to resist labeling her one way or the other at such a young age. Especially in families where there are other very smart kids/people, I think it's really easy to place too much pressure on a kid to keep up or compete with her family. Of course, some competition is normal and healthy but.. you know what I mean. She'll get enough of this naturally. I think your job is to just keep helping her expand her world and letting her develop however she does. Good job so far!! If she continues to be super brilliant, great!! If she's anything else than super brilliant... that's great too, as long as she's happy. Of course, once you're getting ready to enroll her in school, definitely talk to them about her abilities to make sure she's provided an appropriate level of education.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• Good question. Every parent I meet, most parents, truly believe their child is gifted. And I don't break the news but really their child is just average. Which is a good thing. Not horrible at all. Every day people do extrodinary things. It's just most of us are not going to go to college before we hit puberty. My four year old, soon to be five, is getting professionally evaluated. For issues in processing and he most likely has severe learning issues with reading. This he shows clear evidence of. But the professionals who work with him suspect a very high IQ. And it dosen't make a difference to my child or to us. He still cries he's dumb and still gets frustrated. And I will never mention to friends his IQ scores once we get them back. Average or higher it doesn't matter. I'm concerned only with is sense of self worth and self esteem. But yes, at $3,000 worth of testing they can tell this early. Unless their
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• a problem it is expensive to satify curiosity. My husband scored perfect on his SAT's and had the Merit scholarship, Presidential scholarship, and a full ride scholarship. And we live an average life. A good one. Don't stress. Gifted the way most people mean it is rare. I hope my child is not "gifted." for him it comes with a price tag. Most of the time true giftedness does. Eienstein, Franklin....all sucked at school and barely learned how to read. They hated school. Celebrate your daughter but for your own sanity try not to get caught up in lables. Trust me, thousands of dollars I pay out of pocket to chase a medical issue but it includes developmental testing. There are some things better left alone. Personally, I may ask to not know that number just so I don't have that monkey on our back either direction.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:03 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• have your child tested and go from there.
    onlinejazzmom

Answer by onlinejazzmom at 9:26 AM on Sep. 19, 2011