How do you calm a child with aspergers

kmkub

Asked by kmkub at 3:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in About CafeMom

• My son has high functioning autism and we took him to a therapist where he learned coping skills & we learned how to cue him to use them.

Answer by gemgem at 3:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It would depend on why the child was upset, routine change, sensory issues, normal emotions, etc? Each would be handled differently. If you'd like to elaborate more, msg me. I might have some ideas to help.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 5:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My son at this point has only a preliminary dx of asperger's. We are waiting anxiously for some therepy for him. However, when he is at his worst, we use lullaby/light classical instrumental music. Think baby mozart and vivaldi or baby genius bedtime. Since his birth it has at times been the only thing to calm him down. He has learned some self soothing with the music and will even ask for it. He also requires a great deal of skin to skin contact. He has a severe aversion to clothes at times like that. This doesn't always work quickly especially as he gets older and less rational when he is agitated but almost always does work eventually.

Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2009