have any of you??

have any of you ladies who know anything about temperature being an indicator of labor...ive been taking my dogs temp 2x a day for a few days and tonight im supposed to go out to dinner and dont want to leave her alone since i have NO IDEA when she was bred therefore i have no due date....i was just wondering if any of you have tried the temp thing to determine when labor would start and how accurate it is! thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Pets

• i think taking the temperature is a good indicator of when it might happen, but i don't know any specifics, sorry. have you tried googling or looking up a website for your specific breed to find out? i would do that, get info straight from the source.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I never had Dogs do that! But my Cats would get Nervous, run around, Be Excited & Chatty.. Not their Normal Selves! Also you could feel the kicks & all!! Ask others or any Breeder or Vets. you may know! Good Luck !!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• A dogs normal temp is around 101.5.I start taking my dogs temp twice a day starting on her 58th day.Since you don't know her due dates take her temp once a day until it drops to 99.0.Then go to 2 or 3 times a day.About 24 hours before labor begins it will drop down to 98.0 or lower.She may stop eating,act restless,dig around in her whelping box.Give her plenty of newspapers to nest in.After she has the pups put her in a clean box with newspapers and some old towels or a light blanket(I wrap a receiving blanket around a piece of foam cut to fit the box).The puppys need to be kept warm at all times so they should keep them out of drafts and in a warm place.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 12:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• continued---- After the mom settles down with her babys she should have a warn meal.I give mine a bowl of puppy formula with an egg yolk and cottage cheese mixed with her dry food.Alot of breeders give their dams a tums each day to keep her calcium level up while nursing.If you have any questions feel free to send me a message and I will try to help you.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 12:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Hey tikismom...thanks for letting me know what a dog's normal temperature is! I was trying to find it in all my dog books and I for whatever reason couldn't!
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2009