Melatonin for a 6 year old

Ok, my DD will be 6 in October. Since she was an infant she has had trouble falling asleep. At months of age she would lay in her crib banging her foot on the wall for 3 hours before she would finally crash to sleep. Once she is asleep... she is done for, and sleeps well.

Over the years I have heard about melatonin. I have heard about hyper children or children with sleep issues using it.

Tonight we gave it a try. She was asleep within 10 minutes. However, I am kind of a medicine natzi. I hate to take meds for any reason and I don't give them to my kids either. I just have an issue with pills. Now I am worried about giving it to her.

Any one else give their child melatonin to help them sleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is hell no way would I give a 6 year old a sleeping medication!!!
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• My DS ia 7 and has been taking melatonin as needed since he was about 4 at the recommendation of his ped. He has Autism and has trouble 'turning off his brain' He would lay their and talk/sing to himself and play with his hands/feet for HOURS. He started at 1 mg and now takes 2. We do not use it every night, only the nights he has trouble sleeping and at 7 he now request it if he feels he needs it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• and again...no way in hell would I give a 6 year old medicine to sleep...there you can vote it down again, mama!
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• Big- it's not a medication. WOW, try google.

OP- I had insomnia as a child. BAD. I still do, it was the only thing that could safely help me fall asleep (I have severe reactions to sleep aides). It is absolutely safe. You could eat a whole bottle of it and the worst thing that is going to happen, is you take a 14 hour nap.
    Melatonin is found in EVERY living thing on this planet, everything.

I use it regularly, so does my eldest child (10) who has sleeping problems. My 6 year old takes it on occasion when it is warranted.

My sister has one of her six that takes it nightly, it's wonderful for a child who has a hard time getting fully rested.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• and... I will. You're waaaayyyy off. If you can't provide even a remotely informed opinion, then why bother?

You're completely ignorant to the NON medication that you speak of. To the simple fact of what it is, how it interacts with our bodies, and the lack of side effects.

So, make another assertion that screams of ignorance, and I will exercise my right to disagree :) thanks for your approval though.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/940.html

The National Institute of Health ...it is a medication
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• Melatonin is a medication, however it is a natural substance that is naturally occurring in the body. It is a synthetic form, however it is an excellent and natural way to help with sleep. As long as you don't give too much, you should be fine. I think 1 5mg pill is sufficient.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• 2 of my kids are autistic and use it daily and for naps if they are overtired and ADHD gets outta hand. it's not a medicine, it's a natural mineral NATURALLY release in the body. however some peoples bodies do not release it at the right time and/or the right amounts, there for they have trouble sleeping. there have been no negative side affects found in short term and long term studies of all different doses upto daily amounts of 75mg. it is safe for most people.

l
    ajs16919

Answer by ajs16919 at 11:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• Big- if you want to get technical, they tried to recat Vitamin C as a medication about 5 years ago... Melatonin is actually an OTC supplement, and is not classified as a drug (ie, medication). Neither are other herbal supplements, which ARE actually dangerous if used improperly...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• Did you read your link? Melatonin is a hormone found naturally in the body. Melatonin used as medicine is usually made synthetically in a laboratory. 

Melatonin is LIKELY SAFE for most adults when taken by mouth short-term or applied to the skin. It can cause some side effects including headache, short-term feelings of depression, daytime sleepiness, dizziness, stomach cramps, and irritability. Do not drive or use machinery for four to five hours after taking melatonin

Now look up the side effects of an actual medication not a sythetic hormone.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2011