How to cook good rice.

I have a rice cooker and I love it but lately I've been having a problem. My rice is coming out sticking together and slightly mushy. Does anyone know why or how I can stop it? I've tried adding a little bit of butter to see if that would keep the rice from sticking and it did not work. I just want rice that doesn't stick together!!

BTW: I'm using long grain white rice.

Inle_Rabbit

Asked by Inle_Rabbit at 4:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The only thing I can say is that I was always told that the secret to perfect rice is to NEVER lift the cover until it's done.
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Well the internet says to rinse rice first and use a little less than a 1:2 ration for rice and water. Just FYI for those looking for an answer!
    Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 5:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Get rid of the plain old white rice. Use Basmati rice. It never comes out sticky. And it's still 1 part rice to 2 parts water.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes, I used less water in my rice and it made the rice less mushy but it was still super sticky. I'll try the Basmati rice. It's just we eat so much rice since there are wheat allergies in the household. =/ I know there is away around this sticky rice situation!
    Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 10:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Ok here is what I do and being from the South we love some rice...I grew up on it.
    I use Mahunta logn grain white rice and in a non-stick pot boil 2 cups water with 2 tablespoons of butter. once it boils then you add one cup of rice, stirr once, reduce to LOW (the lowest setting) and set a timer for 20 min and DO NOT LIFT THE LID. mine comes out "perfect" each time, or so my husband says and i think so too. the butter in it helps it to not stick together a little. if you dont want to use butter you might be able to add a teaspoon of olive oil or something but i have never done that.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 11:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2009