How would you feel if your husband didn't give you a gift for your birthday?

I have been married for almost five years. My husband has always gotten me a present until my last birthday. He gave me a card. He scheduled his doctor appointment on the day of my birthday. Should I be upset with him and should I worry that he is cheating on me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't know how I would feel. We have been together for 6 years now and I don't really get anything for my bday. I alwasy go out of my way to make sure he has something nice, plus a card a dinner.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It depends. Is your money situation tight this year? Ours has been so I didn't get "the usual" for Christmas and based on what the appointment was in regard to that may have been the soonest day that he could get into the office. I've been with my DH for almost 4 yrs and I've noticed that as the yrs go by the presents get a little less lavish:) If he is going into another room to take phone calls or doesn't answer your calls and doesn't seem at all interested in maintaining a sex life with you, then I would worry. Until then I would guess that he had a "dumb guy" moment.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 4:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I find it inconsiderate, but I would never have thought cheating! My DH has forgotten mine a time or two in the past many years! :D
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I wouldnt care.. as long as he did all the house work that day id be happy
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 4:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I wonder what else is going on that you automatically jump to the conclusion that he is cheating on you because you did not get a gift.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• if cheating pops in to your mind right away what are you leaving out?i mean personally i know that men are bad at those type of things and if you have gotten 5 years of gifts be happy with a card and what was he going to the dr for? is there a chance he was worried about his appointment, im thinking that he probably wasnt given much of a choice on the day of the appointment
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 5:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Well honastly id rather just spend some time with him and get a card than get a gift!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• i never get a bday present
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My husband has never, in the eight years we've been together, gotten me a gift. But why would you assume that no gift equates to your husband cheating? I would be worry about my husband's health rather than obsess over not getting a gift. He thought enough to get you a card. Is that not good enough these days?
    Anonymous

• i think that maybe seeing so many other moms answer questions with "he's cheating, leave him!" its almost become conditioned into your mind that this is a possibility. what is the appointment for? is there anything else going on that would warrant suspicion? i wouldnt worry based on this one incident. if things continue like this then i would confront him.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009