What should I be educating my 3 year old. I want to home school her for now. Any helpful tips?

RaeRae02

Asked by RaeRae02 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Make it fun... keep it unstructured... do LOTS of hands-on activities, arts/crafts, music, & field trips...recognize that every day life is a constant learning experience (a simple trip to the grocery store is an excellent opportunity to teach about nutrition, money, and weights/measures) let your child lead the way (if you plan on studying frogs, but your daughter wakes up that morning interested in butterflies --- run with the butterflies)

EXCELLENT free resource site (run by a friend): www.jennifererix.com (go to the pre-k/early education link on the left)

I have countless resources, (not enough room to list here) so if you need more just PM me.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I would check out some educational websites like Montessori that emphasize child-led learning and read up on homeschooling options through your library (and remember that the library is a MUST resource for homeschooling) and check out any homeschooling groups in your area - you should be able to search for them on the net. Also, check out some homeschooling groups here on CafeMom.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My 3 year old is homeschooled as well and will continue to be homeschooled through all of school. He knows all his ABC's, recognizes all letters of the alphabet and their phonetic sounds, counts to 15, recognizes numbers from 1-12, does some basic addition and subtraction and does some basic spelling and reading. I used Hooked On Phonics programs (they have them for kids as young as yours and even younger), and I used a blackboard to teach numbers, letters, spelling, reading, etc. Or you can use flashcards.
    proverbsmommy4

Answer by proverbsmommy4 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• *Because I went past the character limit......here's the rest of the advice lol*

His favorite method of being taught right now is the Crayola Glow Station he got for Christmas. Now we spell and write numbers in the dark! But I'd start with all those. (Oh and he knows all colors and shapes as well....even hexagon). Then, once your child knows all that stuff, grab some kindergarten workbooks or preschool workbooks from Walmart but preschool workbooks are a tad too easy for my 3 year old so just look at the books and see what you think your child can or can't do and if it would be too frustrating or not.
    proverbsmommy4

Answer by proverbsmommy4 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• is it actually considered "homeschool" when technically thy're not old enough for school? not bashing, just curious
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 7:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• yes bi-polarmommy as long as you are teaching your child at home, not preschool, daycare, or grade school,then yes it is considere home schooling. Anything being taught at home is homeschool.
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 5:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• to op check out the preschool themes group on here. it is full of great information on how to teach your preschooler.
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 5:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My 3 year old daughter just got told she couldn't go to Pre-K this year, she didn't score low enough. Shes very disappointed about not going and so was I, all the extended family too. So I teach her at home like I have been. She knows all her shapes, colors, numbers 1-12 and then messes up to 20. She knows all her Alphabet (capital and small letters) and the sounds they make.
    We are just starting to touch on some reading....... that part is kinda hard, I feel like I have hit a brick wall but its just repetition I guess, she has sounded out like 2 words so far. She LOVES books, we visit the library a lot and she just got a Fisher Price Computer Cool School for her Bday in November. And she loves learning about animals. She says group of Rhinos are called a crash and other groups of animals are called. Good luck!! :)
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 9:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2009