? about Mary Kay for people that sell it

If you booked a party for ladies ranging from 18 yrs-22yrs do they even really buy the skin products and come back for the follow-up or am I just gonna be using it for practice? I am new at this and these are college students so I am afraid I am not really waisting my time but I feel I am not going to make the sells I need to pay bills.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 4:31 AM on Sep. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Hmmm I could not imagine trying to make money selling a luxury item in this economy.

The only advice I can give you is to NEVER PREJUDGE! You never know what a person may do, and so just give your presentation and always ask for referrals...even if THEY don't become loyal customers, they could introduce you to someone who does.

Laila Moysey
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms
    Moms Helping Moms Work From Home since 1999
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 4:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• Young people are much more aware of the chemicals in products like Mary Kay, and look for companies with a social conscience.
    Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• And if you need a dependable income, get a job while you try to build a home-based business

Answer by rkoloms at 7:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• Like any kind of direct sale party It all depends on the people who are at your gathering - some will love the product and want to buy it, others who are on a limited budget will see the total cost and not want to spend that kind of $ on 'makeup/facial' stuff. I sold MK for a short while and did a party for my sis in her dorm room. 1 of the girls was already familiar with MK products and bought some from me, another girl liked it, but would not pay that price for skincare/makeup, and a 3rd had never had a MK facial before and did not want to 'invest' that kind of money on something she was not very familiar with and not sure she would really use (on an everyday basis).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:51 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• I think the prices on Mary Kay may be somewhat out of the league of te average college student, so while the party may be fun...Im not sure about the repeat market
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• I am 22 and I just go to Target or Wal-mart for products. I used to sell mary kay a few times and i'd attend all the weekly meetings we had in my area; I never made income however ever unless one of my friends would buy an eyeshadow here to there to be supportive. Once I was actually in the business and got my kit; i'd feel harrassed at the meetings to buy inventory. I also did not really like the idea of having ladies at parties put the products on their faces; because i'd be so worried someone would break out from the products or worse. I would not pre-judge however; you never know who may love the items but find something you absolutly love and stand for because I realized no business is easy; so you may as well find something you love.
    XOXOArmyWife

Answer by XOXOArmyWife at 6:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• Coming from a customer perspective. It's highly overpriced. I only bought because I felt pressured to. I personally will not buy it again. Their mineral makeup sucks honestly. I can use bare minerals and do it only once around my face and it covers almost everything but I have to use the mary kay mineral makeup and go over about 10 times for it to do the same. A lot of people my age and younger know this. Plus they have a high rate of allergy reactions to their stuff as well as cancer causing agents. It's all about the organic/healthy stuff now. If you want to make money from Mary Kay, you will have to look for older people who love it but then you run into they already have consultants.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 6:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• I would start by addressing your mindset about promoting Mary Kay...if you have a fear that you might waste your time or that you won't make enough sales, that is what will happen. Where our focus goes is what will happen. I used to have a fear of people asking me how much I made in a previous business (mostly because I wasn't making any lol!) and guess what would happen with every prospect. They would ask that question. You might get a couple of sales here and there, but it won't be as much until you are fully invested, completely love and are passionate about what you are doing :). Hope this helps! It totally helped me once I changed my mindset.
    RozPearcy

Answer by RozPearcy at 11:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• I used to sell Mary Kay, and while I learned a lot, I didn't earn much. I have found a company that is a much better fit for me & I've already made a lot more money. Plus there are no quotas, inventory, parties, or selling. Personally, I was very disappointed with MK.
    kpav

Answer by kpav at 6:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• You might consider selling the on trend items to people that age. The eye colors that are full of color along with the lipsticks and mascara. That's where you'll be more likely to sell to that age.
    etindall8

Answer by etindall8 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2011