My 3yr old toddler has a cold sore. How to treat it?

Asked by monime at 7:22 AM on Sep. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ashley I think you misread...she said cold sore.

I don't know if you can use abreva on a child that young or not. Some tylenol or motrin might help with the pain and swelling, or let her hold an ice cube on it.

Make sure you keep it moisturized too. I know these hurt if they get dried up around the edges and crack. Encourage her to wash her hands don't want her rubbing the blister and then putting her hands in her eyes. Also, while the blisters are present (which is when the cold sore is contagious), only give her certain toys to play with..and put the rest up. Then when it's gone disinfect.

I get cold sores, but I am SOOOOOO careful when I have one. No kissing...I keep my drinks up where no one can reach them....I got them from my grandma when I was a kid.

Answer by mommydinasaur at 9:08 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• For my daughter (15months) and son (almost 3), we use 5ml tylonal(kids) and 5ml advil (advil).... Start by giving one now and 1 thirty min later. And keep doing tylonal every 4hours and Advil every 6. Then warm baths and kids vapor rub. If he is coughing, try little remidies Honey soother. My daughter has extream asthma and so we do nebs to keep everything moving, not sure how his breathing is, but if he is having any pulling in his chest when he breaths, he may need one. I would call his pedi. Good Luck! Hope he feels better soon!

Answer by ashley_hatty at 7:28 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• You can use the cold sore creams. I would use Vaseline or something like that. but just a little and try and tell them not to lick their lips it will just make it worse. My daughter gets them at 3 to.

Answer by Cbaby4 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2011