Can you give a tylenol to a 5 week old baby with a fever of 100.2?

Jordan B.

Asked by Jordan B. at 7:49 AM on Sep. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to your doctor. Why does a 5 weeks old have a temperature?
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 7:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• I would call the doctor first. That is pretty young to have a fever. I would say no. Just applying cool clothes to head, wrists and behind the knees should bring it down. Or a cool bath.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• Call your dr
    charnel07

Answer by charnel07 at 7:59 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• You should call your doctor. It is not considered a fever until it is 100.4 in a child that age.
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 7:59 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• I agree with blueberry babies run higher temperatures and it isn't considered a fever yet.
    Sunshine257

Answer by Sunshine257 at 8:11 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• I believe you can but you should talk to your dr first. Never give anyone a cool bath if they have a fever, it just closes their pores causing the heat to stay in. It's a warm bath you should only give. The warm bath cause the pores to open letting the heat out.
    Baby21677

Answer by Baby21677 at 8:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• Please do not give anything to your baby without first getting the medication and dosage okay'ed by his/her pediatrician!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:53 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• Thats not considered a fever, its normal for babies temperature to be high. I forgot what temperature you should begin to worry. I suggest calling your pediatrician, talk to a nurse.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 10:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2011

• 5 weeks is too young to be given Tylenol @ home. 100.2 IS NOT A FEVER. How did you check it? If you did it anywhere but rectally it is inaccurate.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2011