My 7 month old covered her ears and screamed when I vacuumed!

Well, I went to vacuum the floor yesterday and she was in her exerciser. As soon as I turned it on, she covered her ears and screamed. She's never done that before. I've vacuumed with her in the room before, and she was fine. But this time was different! Once I shut it off, she just had her little lip sticking out pouting. Why is she all of a sudden being like this?

Mommy2Macy

Asked by Mommy2Macy at 4:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im not sure why she is doing this..my daughter is scared of the vaccum also....ive vacummed around her since she was born and when she started walking she would run to the clloset person to her
    adams03

Answer by adams03 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Yeah. My daughter didnt care til she was 6 or 7months. Same thing happened. She was also in the exersaucer, and when I turned it on she screamed and wouldn't stop til it was off. She does the same thing with the hair dryer. Didn't used to bother her.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I'm so NOT saying there is anything wrong, but I am giving my experience...

My oldest has ALWAYS had a problem with the vacuum cleaner, mixer, hair dryer, blender, etc. Anything with that kind of a loud high pitch....screaming as a baby, running in circles and screaming as a toddler, running away from the sound with his hands over his ears saying "too loud, too loud, too loud...." as a preschooler. He has SPD. (sensory processing disorder)

However...there is more that goes with it, and having a problem with these kinds of sounds could be a fluke, it could be ear infections, it could be the surprise of the noise, etc.

My son also has a problem touching textures, eating foods with mixed textures and a severe delay in fine motor skills.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Just watch over the next year or so how they do with things...anything to do with the senses....do they dislike certain textures? have a problem with textures in foods? problems with lights or other sounds? problems handling strong smells? Keep a log of these things. If you notice problems in these ares as they become toddlers, then get with your local Early Intervention office for an OT eval. Occupational therapy has done WONDERS for my oldest...and my second son as well. (he has it too)

(i HATE having to make two posts when one would do....)
    TiccledBlue