What age should child start cleaning up

like their room and bathroom

mrs.harrison812

Asked by mrs.harrison812 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Id saw at Toddler age. Ever since my kids were around the walking age, a lil closer to two. We would have a clean up game. Picking up the toys etc... A lil older we would wash the toys, and simple cleaning around the house. As they get more into School age, the chores and cleaning would advance.

Thats my opionion
    LisaDyle

Answer by LisaDyle at 12:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• since my kids were walking I had them putting small toys away etc. They love to help bring dishes in from the table and I show them where they go in the kitchen out of the dishwasher. I don't make them help with dishes yet but when they want to I'm not going to discourage it. They do very well with putting toys away at the end of the night.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• I agree with the above answers…as soon as they are able to walk, they can help clean up.
    Nikki7474

Answer by Nikki7474 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• My son is now 5. His chores include making his bed every morning, clean his room, clear the table after meals, & sorting the laundry. I'm still not sure I feel comfortable with him using cleaners in the bathroom yet, but he does use lysol wipes to clean off the sink, door handles, etc. He loves to help out! He's been picking up his toys for as long as I can remember... I don't really have a 'set age' for things yet. (he's my first) So as he gets older/taller/stronger he can do more. :)
    Ellie19

Answer by Ellie19 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• I say as young as possible. I try to give them age appropriate chores and adjust their chores as they become more capable. Toddlers love to do whatever Mom is doing. Mine all loved "helping" me sort laundry. Over the years they just get used to pitching in.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 18, 2011