• In the Spotlight:

What can your 1 year old say?

My son is 13 months old and he says mama, dada, uh uh, duck, and thank you. What all can (or did) your one year old say?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son said simple thing like that untill after he was 3..then i guess he just decided to start talking out of nowhere
    listorlou

Answer by listorlou at 5:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• pop "for lollipop" shoe, mom dad "ry" for ryan her brother, daw for dawson her brother, milk, juice, no, more, booboo for boob, aunt, grandma,bana for banana
    sleep (in sign language) along with milk, juice, cup,happy, kiss, more in sing language too
    Anonymous

• Anonymous, can you share with me how you taught your 1 year old sign language? I think that my son would catch onto that faster. Thanks!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Mine says, mummy, daddy, horsey, bath, kiss, drink, sleepy, doggy, wow, oh no and lots more for his brothers he calls them, Di for dylan, Trista for Tristan, Tyra for Tyran, White for Wyatt . Keeping in mind he is 17mo.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 5:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• she watches the baby einstein video for sign language and when it shows the signs we show her how to do it with her hands and say the word when she does it and well tell her sometimes say "more" (and do the sign at the same time)

i also took 2 1/2 years of sign language too so there are some signs not on there that we are trying to teach her. but there are websites that show you the sign and make it easy to teach a baby. baby einstein video is a great one though she actually sits there and wtaches and and enjoys it :)
    Anonymous

• my 13month old can say muma, dada, milk, all done,shoe,juice, I listen, Love you dada, I wake up, banana, noddles, cracker, yummy, eww and grandpa
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My girl is 13 months old today. She says, Dog/Woof-Woof, Mama/Mom, Dada/Dad, Papou (Greek for Grandpa), No, Go, Mall, Milk, Toe, Hi, Ball, More, Yiayia (Greek for Grandma), Gaapa (Grandpa), Uma (Grandma) Tongue, (If you ask her where is your head, ears, nose, mouth, teeth, tongue, feet, toes - she'll point to the correct body parts) and will wave, nod her head yes, smile and point. She loves to dance too!!! I also taught her basic sign language and she knows more, milk, all done.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• oh-yeah, and duck! i say quack quack and she says duck. she's now trying to say bubble when in the bath tub. she understands a whole lot...
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• At 13 months....

1...had just stared to speak. He said "mama" and "dada". At 18months he was holding full conversations!!! (freaked us out!) His verbal IQ is in the 99.9th percentile. He's now 4.

2...didn't even start to speak until he was 18 months. He's now 3 and receives speech therapy for a moderate speech delay because of articulation.

3...just finally started speaking at 22 months. He's now 2 and receiving speech therapy for a severe speech delay in articulation and expressive language.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• mine says, aaa-pull (apple) but thinks it means hungry! Cracks us up. We cannot convince him to say hungry. If you ask, "are you hungry?" he shakes his head yes and says "aa-pull". He also says mama, dada, nana (banana), bye bye.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 7:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2009