I have a one month old and im just wondering when to start him on cereal?

emily1928

Asked by emily1928 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'LL SAY START YOUR BABY ON CEREAL ON THE 5TH MONTH
    bossrenee

Answer by bossrenee at 5:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• They say about 6-8 months. It depends on when he starts teething, really.
    DementedPsyche

Answer by DementedPsyche at 5:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• 6 months or so depending on your baby's needs. i had a few moms try to talk me into doing it after only a month to get DD to sleep thru the night. it didn't work and i think it constipated her. your child should be able to eat it from a spoon, it doesn't need to be in the milk (or formula). once they're sitting up and taking from a spoon, that's when you can start cereal and other jar foods.

you're at the one month mark? how cute! i miss that time so much but it was hard to enjoy then as i was so sleep deprived! i'm sure you know what i'm saying! =)

best wishes to you....
    Mom2Alyssa1705

Answer by Mom2Alyssa1705 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My baby was really hungry i started rice bottles along with brest feeding at 5 week and by 7 or 8 weeks he was eating rice cereal and by 4 months he was eating oatmeal. I dont know if this will help but he also started baby food at about 3 months.
    Sara179

Answer by Sara179 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to give cereal as a first food. It's actually difficult for them to digest, not all that nutritious, and can raise blood sugar/insulin levels

Here are a couple of journals I posted on the subject back when I was thinking about introducing solids around six months:

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/662892/first_foods

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/674681/more_stuff_on_first_foods

Hope this helps!
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 5:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I think it all depends on the child. Like if the child always seem hungry its ok to start at 4 months. The doctors recomend starting them at 6 months though.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 6:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Ask your pediatrician before u start. Every baby is different and what works on one does not necessarily work on all.
    iri24

Answer by iri24 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• 4 to 6 months is normal. If she watches you eat and pretends to chew when you eat, then she is ready. Feed her food with a spoon, not in a bottle. Teaching her to eat off of a spoon is part of the point and the old-wives-tale of giving her cereal to get her to sleep through the night is just that... an old-wives-tale. When it "works", it's coincidence.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My daughter started at 3 months and that was just one feeding because she was taking in too much formula and was becoming constipated because of the Iron in the formula. At four months we attempted to feed her rice from a spoon but she hated it and the peds told us to give her a little bit of applesauce at 5 months and she's now on table foods and never really ate the rice.
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 9:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Dont rush it you'll only create adult weight problems. It also is a myth that starting a baby so young on cereal makes them sleep thrugh the night. There is no good reason to rush into all that. I waould wait until 6 months.
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 9:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2008