Where can I get math tutoring for my child without taking out a loan?

I have checked into some options but Sylvan is pricey. I hear that Mathnasium is more economical and effective. Comments Please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Did you check with the teacher first and see if they offer any school programs?
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 5:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I work as an SES tutor for my local schools. Contact the school district and ask them about tutoring available through SES and if the school district or school qualifies for it. They bring in Sylvan learning, University instructors etc and they do tutoring as a group and also one on one. Many parents dont know about this for some reason but its free of charge provided by the NCLB.

Answer by gemgem at 5:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Check with the school your child attends for recommendations. If no luck there, maybe try to find a college student who can help you out? I don't know what grade your child is in, but if they're in elementary school, you could even try to find a high school student to help you out. A smart high school student. LOL.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• OMG! Mathnasium is awesome!!
    They have an atmosphere of learning that I have never seen. The lady that runs it is a math teacher and is so much about the kids learing and improving in math.
    They assess your child and figure what the kids knows already and what he needs to to learn. As these gaps are filled you can see the results in your kid's grades. My kid loves to go to Mathnasium and asks me to take him all the time. The price is low compared to Sylvan and to private tutors. Their number is 478-0550.
    4mykids66

Answer by 4mykids66 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• The local college may have a tutoring program- the students make a few dollars by tutoring.

Answer by Bmat at 8:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I would check with the school. Most teachers offer tutoring before or after school. They should be willing to work with you. Good Luck.
    ChefBoyRDee

Answer by ChefBoyRDee at 5:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• you should check out WyzAnt.com. Its an easy way to find tutors in your area. I have used the service and loved it. Each tutor sets their own rate so sometimes you can find a rather inexpensive tutor. Also, WyzAnt allows discount packages if you buy up front. I know a lot of programs that cost 1,000 of dollars and aren't worth it.

WyzAnt.com
    CreativeMind26

Answer by CreativeMind26 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• tutorsteach.com
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• check out http://www.wyzant.com/11QOOCU this url will give you $20 off your first lesson

tutors set their own price anything from $20 an hour. all tutors need to be qualified and pass an entry exam
    heidibooks

Answer by heidibooks at 2:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2009