When should I plant some veggie plants for next summer??

I'm not a gardener but I do want to try to grow some of my own veggies next summer. Things like tomatoes, peppers, etc. The problem is I'm not sure when I should plant them so they can be ready.. When should I plant them?

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• where do you live hun? if you live in a climate which has a winter, then you will not be able to plant until your frost free date (probably early may).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• You'll want to do it after your last frost and if you live in an area with a short growing season, you may not be able to grow certain things and other things will need to be planted as seedlings that you grow from seed indoors or buy from a nursery. You can probably go to or call a local nursery and they should be able to tell you when the best time to plant would be and what plants do best in your area. Or call your county ag extension office.

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 9:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• Depending on your growing season, you should start things like tomatoes and peppers indoors about 8 weeks before your last frost date. Goodle planting zone maps so you know what zone you are in, then google last frost date for your town.

What you should do now, before winter, is put your garden together. Whether you plan on traditional rows, raised beds, or even containers, you should start working on your soil now. For rows, test your soil, dig them, and add the nutrients/fertilizer now. If you mulch in your yard trimmings along with things like veggie/fruit peels, it will compost over the fall and winter and make the soil healthier and you'll be able to grow more. For raised beds/containers, buy a mix of equal parts compost, peat moss, and vermiculite. You can do that in the spring rather than now. And ... order SEED CATALOGS lol!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

• After the last frost ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:15 PM on Sep. 19, 2011