How can i get my baby on a schedule?

I have a three month old baby and he eats very regularly but it seems like he sleeps whenever he pleases...he takes two hour naps during the day, but will be up at around 12am...is he suposed to be on a schedule with sleeping at this age? If so, how can I get him on one?

JulesMommy1008

Asked by JulesMommy1008 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is too young, just follow his lead.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• when you figure it out let me know.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I tried it with each of my three. I failed miserably each time.

It is easier to go with their flow at this stage. LOL And everyone is generally happier, too!

I waited until we started actual meals...babyfood...and we had set times for breakfast, lunch and supper. I had those set times and let them still guide the snacks and naps...but I may have nudged a bit...keeping them up a few more minutes each day to get a nap moved up a half hour or so. LOL But it was much easier at 6 months to build a routine.

We are just now doing actual "schedules"....school, therapy sessions, doctor appointments, activities, etc...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• babies should make their own schedule. if yours wakes during the night, quietly change his diaper, in the dark (with a night light, obviously), feed him, and lay him back down. no tv, no radio, maybe just some soft music. night time should be quiet time. don't engage him in play. take care of his NEEDS, then lay him back down. maybe have a naptime cd playing in his room, that'll help drown out noises from outside the room. it'll also train him (remember pavlov?) that when he hears that music, it's time to sleep. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 7:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Too young for one.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Neither of my kids took to a schedule, they eat at regular times but that's about it. Yours may not get on one until he's older and he may never get on one. Don't worry about having him on a schedule.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My daughter is very scheduled as far as feedings go. Naps shouldn't be scheduled until there is only one or two, and your baby will determine that one. My little girl is starting to sort of take naps at the same time each day. Control what you can. Establish a routine for bedtime. Bath, Book, Rock, Swaddle (if you do), binky. No lights are necessary and they distract babies from sleeping.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• yes, hes at the perfect age for being put on a schedule.. alot of parents dont even think to start until its to late... my sons schedule is as follows.. 8pm bedtime, 7am wake up, 8am bottle, 9am nap, 11am breakfast ( cereal and baby food) 1pm 2nd nap, when he wakes up he has a bottle, at 3-4 he takes his 3rd nap, then dinner at 5, 6-7 is prep for bed, at somenights it takes him an hour to fall asleep.. i mix up his schedule a bit to keep him flexible. i read an article that said if a baby falls asleep in the car nearly everytime, they might not be getting enough sleep.. sure enough, mine wasnt, so i brought in another nap to his day.. i wrote an article on my journal for more tips..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 7:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Too young for a schedule. he's still getting the hang of things. My baby girl is 4 months and has been sleeping thru the night. She usually goes down about 9:30 and awake around 3 or 4. You have to understand that sleeping thru the night is considered 5 hours. Doens't mean it will be at nite. Sleeping thru the night doesn't mean sleeping in til 8. He'll get the hang of it. Just keep doing what your doing and you will see it fall into place. Be patient.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• if you feel a schedule would be approprtitate for YOUR child then by all means...my ds has been on one since he around 4 months........to have a schedule and to have it work you must slowly teach your child to do without night feedings it may take some time but deffinently worth it.....then after that the baby will wake up at those times just because they aare used to it so try the go in reassure then leave method.......
    if you have any more ?s feel free to message me......
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 10:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2009