How do you go back to work after spending 3 months with your baby? I have to go back because of money and because our insurance is through my employer not my husbands, but I just want him to get a better job w/benefits so that I can stay home! Advice!!

natasha3585

Asked by natasha3585 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• You just do it. It is sooo hard but in the long run having your child exposed to other children their age is very important. It is never to early to socialize you little one. I had to put my Daughter in daycare and go back to work when she was 6 months old and it killed me but it really did work to her benefit. I am blessed enough to be able to be an at home mom with both of my children now but I worked outside of the home for many years. Being away from your baby is so hard to do but, it also fosters a sence of trust in you for your little one, your baby sees you leave but ALWAYS sees you return. I would say talk to your Husband and see what you can work out with him. You also don't want him to be doing something that will make him unhappy and in turn be angry with you for staying home. Good luck hon.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 6:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I know it seems really hard right now. Your first week is gonna be tough. But it is going to be good for you to have some grownup time. Have actual conversations. In the long run, I think it makes me a better mom to have to be away for work. Even though I only work 2-3 days a week. It is good for my kids and I to have time around others. Good luck to you.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 6:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My insurance is through my work and I am kinda in the same boat you are. I have been on maternity leave for 3 months now and I am not due until March, due to pregnancy complications. I have searched around and found several really good insurance companies. For the entire family it will cost no more that $200 a month. It makes more sense for me to stay home and quit working, because I travel and hour one way to work and then would have to pay child care. So, by the time I spend gas money and child care I would have $100 dollars left. Good luck with your venture back to work. There are several jobs that you can also do online that will make good money if you choose not to return to work.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Hi Natasha, I have been where you are. For me it didn't pay for me to go back to work even for the insurance, between that and gas and daycare, I was almost paying to work. You might consider trying to work from your home. I have partnered with a fabulous group of work from home mothers that started in similar situations. I would love to share the possibilities with you. In fact, we are doing a promotion for January that could make you $800. Please send me a message or go to www.abetteru.2freedom.com and let me show you how you could change your life and stay at home with your baby!!!!!!!! I look forward to hearing from you.... 

mrssfoster

Answer by mrssfoster at 10:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Why not he stay home and you work? That way someone is home with the baby and you have insurance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You just do it. Yes, he can look for something better, but at least you have the benefits. Believe me, it's better than not having them.

And sometimes you find that being at work is actually better. I wanted to be a SAHM when I first went back to work after my son was born. A few years down the line, I got the opportunity to be home...and none of us liked it. My son kept asking when I was going back to work! And I was climbing the walls.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I've been a SAHM since i was 3 months pregnant with my son..he will be 3 in march and i'm currectly pregnant and due in the next few weeks with our second child...we are currently on the medical card(state insurance) I HATE IT!! i've begged my husband to go find a better job that offers benefits so we can have decent doctors and dentists...i pretty much told him i am NOT going back to work..you made it clear while i was pregnant that i belonged at home...so now you can get a better job.....but honestly deep down if it comes down to it i will be going back to work. in the past 4 months we have been a hair away from losing everything!
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Hi!! Why don't you find a way to make money from home. I truly believe that one parent should be with the child at home, it is sooo important. I could not put my baby in daycare, no way, not an option!! I found something that I love to do from home and make pretty good money part time. The most important thing for me when I was looking to contribute financially was that the company had to be solid, not a start up, and had to have great training and support. Also, I needed a flexible schedule, very important!! There are lots of options out there, let me know if you need some advice or information!! Hugs! Jayme JBoyles@ameriplan.net
    wahmofone

Answer by wahmofone at 4:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2009