Can you give me healthy snack ideas for kids?

Here's a tall order to fill for a brave responder ;-)

Specifically, I'm looking for... healthy snacks that travel well (not too much mess, don't need refrigeration...), are low in salt and sugar and, if it's not too much to ask LOL... high in fiber, too. We are in the car a lot with taking kids to school, picking them up, extracurricular activities, etc.

Some info... my kids are 8, 4 and 3... so they can still make some mess, but are pretty good about keeping things contained. And 2 of them are allergic to treenuts.

They have been having too many packaged stuff that I'm not happy with and want to make a change!!

SahmTam

Asked by SahmTam at 6:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Health

• Pick up the book "Eat This, Not That - For Kids". TONS of examples (including calories, fat, sugar, sodium) for the grocery store, snacks, & eating out. They compare one option to another. For example: Yoplait Kids Yogurt Drinks are 70 calories, 1.5 fat, 10 sugar as opposed to Danimals yogurt drinks which are 180 calories, 3 fat, & 30 sugar.

Examples for 'on the go', Rice Crispie Treats have 90 calories/2.5 grams fat/ 7sgrams sugar. Nutrigrain fruit & nut bars: 120c, 3.5f, 11s, 3 fiber. All Bran Strawberry or Apple Fiber Bars: 120 c, 2.5 f, 9 s, 10 fiber

I highly recommend these books.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Kashi makes good snacks (The TLC crackers and crunchy or chewy granola bars are great) but I don't know if they contain treenuts. Also you could just do the standby of sliced fruit (apples, pears, grapes all travel well) or carrot sticks and celery. Also dried fruits give some sweetness and have fiber I believe. Dried cereals like multi-grain cheerios are good too.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Make your own trail mix. That way you can leave out the things you don't want while giving them a good power snack. Carob chips are great in the mix and kids just think it's chocolate.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Grapes, apples, plums, pears....fruit.

I know you said low sugar - but whole food sugar in fruits is entirely different to refined sugars in sodas etc. It is good for you.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Thank you all! I will look into the book, Laura 1229!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 7:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2009