Can anyone help with potty training ideas??

My son is 3 and we have been attempting potty training but he wants no part of it! I have been trying by putting him in regular underwear with the plastic ones over it and taking him about every 30 minutes to the potty! It never fails, before the 30 minutes is up he has gone in his pants! Can anyone give me any suggestions??

DWsMom05

Asked by DWsMom05 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yup...I had 2 kids of potty trainers...with #1...I had to let her be dirty...I put her panties and pants on her...and I let her wet them (of course I took her to the potty every 15-20 minutes)...it was messy but with each accident we talked about going in the potty...she hated being dirty so this technique worked...rubber pants, extra think undies, and pull ups only delay the process...

With #2...it was pure bribery...I would say..."who wants a marshmallow" (I also used smarties or other small candies)....my daughter would say "ME, ME!" I would say..."go pee in the potty first."...worked like a charm...she would poop her pants and not care so bribery it was....
    Anonymous

• i have a 3 and 4 year old. my 4 year old was 3 years and 2 months before he "decided" he would use the toilet because i told him he wouldn't be able to go to school if not. with my three year old(who turned 3 in october!), he doesn' t care. i finally got him to use the toilet for the first time by telling him i'd give him a piece of gum if he did. that was the only time ever! we decided to wait until the spring so we can let him run around naked. this might help? (hopefully, or i'll have a 10 year old in diapers!)
    samkimber80

Answer by samkimber80 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I think you and I will be in the same boat then Sam! My 3 year old wants NO part of it at all! He doesnt even want to sit on the potty!!! I have tried everything, including bribery! We even went to the store today so he could pick out his own big boy underwear! Got him home and in them, with the plastic ones over and was taking him to the potty every 15-20 minutes. In between potty times he went in his pants! He even asks to wear diapers when I put him in underwear!

To make matters worse, currently I am living with my mom and she is constantly remarking about how he should already be trained and blah blah blah! She doesnt want to help with it but wants to remark on how I am not trying to teach him and he is not going to learn on his own! I have gotten books to read, books for him to use, a video about going potty. Nothing works!
    DWsMom05

Answer by DWsMom05 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2009