My dogs toenail broke off and wont quit bleeding!!!!

My dog was laying unde a blabket I didnt know well I stepped on it and stepped on her foot!! Then I noticed it was bleeding and it is broke at the very beginning of the nail. Its still hangin on but it is broke and has been bleding nonstop for 30 mins!! I cleaned it with peroxide and put antibiotic ointment on it but idk what else to do. The vet doesnt open until 8 :-/

Should i leave it alone?

Will she bleed to death?

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 5:28 AM on Sep. 19, 2011 in Pets

• She won't bleed to death, it is the equivalent of you having a hangnail. If you have a sceptic stick (like men use for shaving) you can rub that on her, but if not, the bleeding will stop. We took our chi-pom to the vet once to have her nails clipped, he cut 3 of her toe nails too short and caused bleeding. He used the sceptic stick on her.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 5:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• Do you have some cornstarch or flour place her paw in the cornstarch or flour for a few minutes and then her paw in a bandage or some folded paper towels and tape? The flour or cornstarch will stop the bleeding until you can call the vet. Not likely to die from it since you are giving her first aid.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• I think it hs quit bleeding for the most part thank for your help! I just held a wet wash cloth on it for like 5 mins. But now I am worried ab it bc she won't walk on that foot ): u can see some kind of vessels or somethin where it broke!
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 5:52 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• http://www.ehow.com/how_2212543_treat-dogs-bleeding-nail.html
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:04 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• This happened to me and I called the vet, this is what they told me to do. Clean it with warm water. Loosely wrap the foot with gauze until the bleeding stops and then cover with clean old sock. This will keep the nail from getting dirt into it. You need to keep the foot dry and clean. So if the dog goes outside you need to repeat as long as there is fresh blood. It should take about a week or so and the cracked part will grow out and fall off (depending on how far up it cracked and if you cracked it across or up and down).
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 7:01 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• PS ... what you are seeing is most likely the "quick" the skin in the nail, just like under your nail. Dogs have the same think. If their nails are dark you can't see it. It is painful, just like if you cut your nails too close. And just like if you have your foot stepped on. I am sure you are feeling terrible. We did too and ours stumped his toe on the steps.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 7:05 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• Give him lots of love.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:10 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• I know it is too late, but this is just an FYI for the future. I worked for a vet and this is what we told people to do...and this is what I did to my Husky who this happened to a couple of times. Get a bowl and put flour in it. Stomp the foot in flour a few times until it clots the blood and makes it stop bleeding. Try to keep your dog off of it's feet for a few minutes, but if starts bleeding again, just repeat.

It was always pointless for me to try to wrap her paw after this because she'd just rip it off. She did love the flour though...I'd be stomping her foot in it as she's trying to eat it all up. It always worked for us though. :-)
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:15 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• I've heard holding a piece of bread on it but not sure that really works.
    mommytobe147

Answer by mommytobe147 at 7:37 AM on Sep. 19, 2011

• take her to the vet as soon as you can hope shell be ok
    luvsmykids4

Answer by luvsmykids4 at 8:05 AM on Sep. 19, 2011