ADHD

for those who do not belive in adhd, why? Why do you think mothers who give their children medication for adhd are bad mothers who are too lazy to spend time with their children? have you done any research on adhd? have you ever dealt with an adhd child? do you also think these mothers are wrong to give their child meds for other conditions such as depression, epilespy, or diabeaties?

please dont answer this question if you have a child with adhd and have to deal with this everyday. this is just for those who must be rude to other moms for trying to help their child

bi-polarmommy

Asked by bi-polarmommy at 6:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i dont think parents who give their children medication are lazy, i think they some just dont do enough research on adhd and the medications. i have done research im very much into researching things and asking questions and asking doctors about their outlook views and opinions. my SOs nephew is said to have adhd so i have dealt with it. BUT around me and his uncle he is perfectly fine, its certain people he acts the way he does, and he knows he does it. parents who medicate epilepsy diabetes etc....i think if its last resort to then use it, but a lot of times there are other options.

anyway concluding this, i think that people just do not KNOW their options.
    i dont look down on people though for any reason
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 6:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My son was diagnosed with adhd and it was a misdiagnosis. He is actually bipolar and went awhile on the wrong meds that actually made his symptoms worse. I dont think parents are lazy or just medicate their children out of the blue. Even with my sons diagnosis I never medicated him until it got really bad,. then like I said the meds were wrong. But no I think parents do the best they can with the information provided to them and what they research online.

Answer by gemgem at 7:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• i have noticed alot of questions here about adhd and there always afew who say rude things about how there is no such thing and its just another way for parents to not deal with their children. the people who say that is who this question is aimed at, not parents who understand what it is, and after trying everything else, try meds to help their child
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 7:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• and kelsoberry, ther are alternitives for diabeties, but not for epilespy, the only thing to controll the seizures is anti-seizure medication, but agian i just used it as an example to those who must bash moms who give their child adhd meds
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 7:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• actually, there are options for epilepsy, i dont know what it is called, but my uncle has epilepsy and takes this homeopathic medicine and more natural ways to help it and hes been doing great. my SO's father is a doctor, he can prescribe modern medicine but homeopathic medicine as well. he prescribed this to him and hes doing a lot better since he got off modern medicine.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 7:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• what homeopathic meds? my 7yo has epilespy, and i never heard of alternitives
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 7:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• This is one topic that people love to bash regardless of how a parent chooses to treat ADHD. I personally have never medicated my son and I have been attacked for that choice by people who knew absolutely nothing about me.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess.

I do think people do the best they can with the information they're given - and that's the problem in my opinion.  There is so much misinformation out there, even among the so-called experts, and people really need to do their OWN research and formulate their OWN opinions so they know ALL the options as KelsoBabeyy states above.  There's bound to be controversy as to the treatment of ADHD when there isn't even consensus of what causes it (genetics vs. environment) or what it is exactly (primary neurological disorder vs. a medical disease with a biological basis, for example).
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• im not sure what its called he lives out of state,
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 8:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I think that ADHD is overly diagnosed! I have 4 boys and none have been diagnosed with ADHD. I thought that #2 had it, but when we went to the doctor, he said that he was way to calm to have it. I do think it is a real problem, but i think that some teachers are quick to label kids with it when they are just bored or they learn in a different style then the teacher is teaching. I think that if we quit feeding our kids junk and feed them more fruits and veggies and less preservatives and dyes we would see a major improvement in their behavior in general. I believe that we as parents should look to medicine as a last resort and we should revert back to good nutrition.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My sons is 5 his doctor put him on ritalin when he was 4 i used for 3 months till he started having major tanturms .. Since I have taken him off it has showed me that time pasions and and a whole lot of time outs and lossing toys has work better any one have any other suggestions
    Dylansmom30

Answer by Dylansmom30 at 4:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2009