• In the Spotlight:

How old was your little ones when you put in a big kid bed?

My son is 16 months old and I just found out that I am pregnant again so I am thinking about moving my son into a toddler bed soon. Is 16 months too soon? He still has to cry it out to go to bed some nights.

mommapolly4

Asked by mommapolly4 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait a little longer before you move him, especially if he is still crying it out. My kids both went into their "big" beds right before they were two. One was 20 months and the other was 22 months. Let him get used to going to bed calmly and staying there before you change things up. You still have plenty of time to work out the bedtime kinks with him. Just make sure that whatever you decide to do now, that you are consistent with it every single night, so that when the new baby comes your son still knows exactly what to expect from you.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I moved Danny into a toddler bed around 18 months. He was in a Porta-Crib and got to big for it, but shares a room with my 4 yr old so there wasn't room for a full size crib. It did take some training to keep him in it. He thought we were playing the first night, pretended to sleep, and then got up a few times. :)
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 5:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I’d say do it before the baby comes so he has time to get used to it and then can get used to the new baby as a separate “issue” and won’t have so many changes all at once.
    if you put your son in his own bed, just make a big deal so he gets excited and make bedtime calm and routine (bath if needed, book, songs, prayers, etc) and try the Supernanny way of putting him back in bed the 1st time he comes out saying "it's night night, sweetie", then the 2nd time saying "it's night night", then the 3rd and following times say NOTHING and just put him back in bed. do this until HE gives in... don't be the one to give in because all his frustration will be for nothing if he gets what he wants with screaming or protesting. it's not easy to hear them cry, but once they know you mean business at bed time, they are calmer and your nights are your own.. parents need time too!

best wishes to you!
    Mom2Alyssa1705

Answer by Mom2Alyssa1705 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I put Rina in a toddler bed when she was about 16 months old and didn't have any problems. John is in the crib at my aunts house but a toddler bed at my house and has been in a toddler bed since he was about 18 months old. I never had a problem with either one of them. Just the occasional getting out of bed
    katandjohnmommy

Answer by katandjohnmommy at 6:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I say leave him in for awhile longer. My son was 20 months but we only switched him because he kept climbing out of the crib. My oldest had just turned 2. My middle daughter was 2 1/2 and my youngest daughter was 23 months and had outgrown her pack-n-play (she never had a crib). It was much easier having them in the crib. At 22 months my son learned to open doors and would wander the house at night and watch HBO. It was crazy. Much easier with them confined to a crib.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I put my son in a big boy bed when he was 11 months. ONLY because I was messing with his crib to see how easy it was to convert into a tot bed, and broke the dang thing! He did very well to my surprise the first night, and only fell out of bed once. Now I didn't have any problems with him going to bed, and after he was in a big boy bed he would get out of bed and cry at the door sometime, but I would let him cry for a little bit(5-10 mins)before I would go into his room to put him back in bed. Let him tucker himself out. Then after that he would go right to bed. The worst thing would he would do is take his blankie and sleep by his door. He is 19 months old now and when he wakes up he comes strait to my room and starts to pull my arm or slaps me to get me out of bed. I could see that it may be a little stressful for you being pregnant in all, but if you're ready to do it just stick with it. Good luck with what you decide.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I will be moving my daughter in a few months - she'll be about 26 months.
    If you are planning on using the same crib, don't wait until too close to your due date. It may make him feel more displaced by the baby if he links being kicked out of the crib with the baby's arrival.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My personal opinion is that if your child will sleep in a toddler bed *without getting out* then they are truly ready. My son moved himself into a toddler bed at 18 months and has never looked back, he just started refusing to sleep in the crib. We have his room babyproofed (we converted the spare bedroom into his room, he sleeps in a Queen bed lol) "just in case" he gets out, but he's never had the desire to. Some moms don't mind their child getting up, but others also complain their child plays half the night.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Mine were both in beds when they turned 2. We didn't use toddler beds, we just got twin beds and pushed them up against the wall and put one of those guard rails on the other side. Both of them managed to fall out of the end of the bed once or twice but they survived and learned not to get out of the bed. With my oldest, we didn't have much of a choice as to when to put him in a bed because I had my second one when my oldest was 2, and we wanted him out of the crib and in a bed before the baby was born.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I would say wait as long as possible. We just moved my son to his toddler bed 2 weeks ago and he is 21 months. I would probably have left him longer but I am expecting a baby in September and I did want him to have some time for the adjustment. He was on a very good sleep routine and we are still trying to get him adjusted to the new bed and back on his sleep schedule. I actually talked to his Dr. today and she said she recommends waiting as long as possible if they are not climbing out of the crib.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 11:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2008