Baby fell - hit her head

My daughter is 7 months old. I placed her on the couch to run in the other room to grab something. I heard her start screaming right after I walked out of the room and ran back to her - she had fallen on the floor. I picked her up and consoled her. She stopped crying in about 5 minutes and I have been watching her and she has been fine. Her normal self - laughing and awake - not groggy or anything. I just brought her into a more lighted room and I noticed a quarter sized red spot on her head. I dont think its bumped but should I do something? Thinking about it now she has randomly started crying twice like she was in pain since it happened, but she was easily consoled. She fell about 3 hours ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A check up from the doctor wouldn't hurt, just to be safe.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My dd fell down the steps in my front yard. They were cement and had a huge knot on her head. I rushed her to the ER and the dr giggled and said ppl do that all the time but unless they are literally knocked out then there is usually nothing to worry about.

Answer by gemgem at 7:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• The crying might just be that she wants extra cuddles. It probably scared her quite a bit, so she just wants some extra attention. As for her head, you could put a little ice on it, but it's up to you whether or not to see her dr. She's probably perfectly fine, but if it would ease your mind to have a dr give the all clear, then by all means take her.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• take her into ER better safe than sorry. my 1 yr old some how managed to pull the end table on her and hit her on the fore head i freaked took her in and ended up being nothing....but i had a friend where her 8 mth old fell off a computer chair and was fine after but was sometimes fussy and she took him in 2 days later to find he had broken his arm.....and she was left trying answer why he wasnt brought in sooner...
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 7:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• okay maybe i am crazy for being the only one to ask so far but why in gods name would you put a seven month old on the couch and then just walk away?
    Anonymous

• A child with a concussion may lose consciousness, but this doesn't occur in every case. Other signs of a concussion include:

* feeling confused and dazed
    * temporary amnesia
    * blurred vision
    * headache
    * slurred speech or saying things that don't make sense
    * difficulty concentrating, thinking, or making decisions
    * difficulty with coordination or balance (such as being able to catch a ball or other easy tasks)
    * vomiting
    * trouble remembering things, such as what happened right before or after the injury
    * feeling anxious or irritable for no apparent reason

Young kids can have the same concussion symptoms as older kids and adults, but changes in mood and behavior may be more subtle.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Call an ambulance or go to the ER right away if, after a head injury, your child:

* can't be awakened
    * has one pupil — the black part of the eye — that's larger than the other
    * has convulsions or seizures
    * has slurred speech
    * seems to be getting more confused, restless, or agitated
    GreekMama28

• i wonder that as well anonymous. but anyway, even if other peoples doctor "giggled" at them bringing their child in, that doesnt mean your child has the same situation.

i would take her to the ER to make sure. you never know and if there is nothing wrong, GREAT! but how would you feel if it "seemed" like everything is a-okay and it turned out to be something bad? im sure youd feel bad.
    Anonymous

i was thinking that too but figured she need advice more than to be ridiculed im sure we all done something not so intelligent with our kids and they got hurt as a result .....
    Anonymous

• shoot - poor kid... she'll likely be fine, with no repercussions. this event should, however, have one very long lasting effect: her mom has learned a lesson about leaving her unattended! she ought to be fine, but watch for vomiting. even with a mild concussion, there's not too much to do if she's responding to sights and sounds and seems pretty normal. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 7:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009