is spanking a option ?????????????

my daughter is 2 years old should i consider 'spanking' one of my discipline methods

mom2b23869

Asked by mom2b23869 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• at 2 it's really your decision. Another method is a flick on the hand. I know alot of people that do it and it seems to work wonders.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I spank. My mom spanked me, her mom spanked her, etc. My son is very well behaved. He's one of the most gentle, sensitive kids I know....doesn't make them violent despite what some moms will say on here
    Anonymous

• try time out first... and it depends on what it is, i wouldnt hit my child unless he did something really bad, like if he bit me or hit me on purpose i would MAYBE raise my hand to him, but i feel that there is ALWAYS another way to handle things..

if you have a chair she doesnt play around put her in it and explain to her she was bad and what she did is wrong... it might not seem to have any effect but i do it with my niece and shes 20 months and she knows she cant misbehave with me... but she acts up with her own mother cause she will just smack her and say no.... and now my niece will tell my 1 year old son no and hit him when she says it...
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 7:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I don't see why not as a last resort and as long as it's with an open hand. You can try to take away a favorite toy or putting her in her bedroom for a bit.

My kids have no toys in their room because I need a place to punish them. They have all their toys in our living room since we spent our time in the family room.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• spanking.. back in the day, everyone did it. now it seems like parents are not only afraid to spank, but afraid to discipline at all. sometimes the situation calls for something more than strong words or time out i think it's appropriate. you have to be certain that you'll not get out of control. sometimes, frustrated parents don't simply smack a child to drive home a point or teach a lesson, but sometimes will BEAT a child. you, yourself, need to be disciplined in that regard. i think a smack is ok. within limits, used sparingly. as for discipline, be consistent with it, and be patient. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 7:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It is totally YOUR decision. None of us here can tell you if you should or shouldn't consider spanking. It's a very personal decision, and you're the only one who can make it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Strong and harsh words are very often worse and more damaging to a child than spanking. I have one kid that responds to spankings and one that responds to other means of punishment, like time out. Figure out what actually works as a form of dicipline for your specific child. There is no perfect answer for such a general question.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 7:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Learn about discipline options - spanking is a punishment, which is only a very small part of discipline overall. Lots of people want to say that what was good for them is good for their kids - but we have learned a lot more about child development and that there are better ways of disciplining a child than spanking. Educate yourself and learn about your options, then see what's right for you. As for me, never spanked but always disciplined.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• dont, my friend is having to deal with child services. Her 4 yr old told her pre school that her parents spank her and they contacted child services, cant spank in florida.
    jewilson08

Answer by jewilson08 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• now a days legally you can get in trouble for looking at your kid in a bad way its like the cops are trying to make more criminals because i know kids that their parents spanked them that where always very nice people and then kids that just got "time outs" that are in prison for some crime and im not bashing anyone i just think that spankings work but only if you dont hit them for no reason i dont know who started the whole spanking your kid is child abuse but i bet their parents BEAT them not spank but like some have already said it is you who has to decide that your child has to be spanked
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2009