What is a home remedy for an ear ache until I can get my 4 yr old to the DR?

I am out of town, and mil just called and said that he is complaining of an ear hurting. She is giving him tylenol, but I thought I have heard of a home remedy to help before. Any ideas?

Jazak

Asked by Jazak at 7:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• On Christmas Eve my 3 yr old started crying uncontrollably in the middle of the night. After a few hours of him complaining of ear pain, a dose of Tylenol, and a cooled off water bottle, I remember a tip from the daycare lady. She said you use olive oil. I always thought she was crazy about that so I never did it, but I was desperate. I warmed up some olive oil in the microwave for about 15 seconds, dipped a cotton ball into it, squeezed 2 drops into his ear and put a new cotton ball in his ear. I had him lay with that ear facing up. He was literally sleeping in less than 5 minutes!!! I took the cotton ball out a few minutes later. After seeing how fast he fell asleep, my husband asked for a few drops in his ear (it was a long night)!!! LOL- We took him to the dr. the day after Christmas- he did have an ear infection, but never once complained of pain again after those drops.
    JAYLOG

Answer by JAYLOG at 1:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• warm damp wash cloth over the ear
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Tylenol.

Warm sweet oil or olive oil...just a few drops to help soothe.

And the above mentioned warm wash cloth.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• try some sweet oi warm it a litlle bit and put in eAR IT TAKES AWAY EARACHES AND PUT A OF COTTON BALLS TEAR OF A LITTLE TO KEEP IT IN THEIR EAR
    mommysunshine33

Answer by mommysunshine33 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Tylenol or Motrin (Tylenol is good for pain but Motrin is good for pain and inflammation). Try a heating pad on low, a blow dryer, or really warm wash cloth. Also, Walmart sells this MIRACLE stuff (I think it's sold in pharmacies and Target as well) called Similisan. Buy the one for ear aches. My third son got a SEVERE ear infection and just a couple drops of that completely got rid of the pain immediately and it's all natural.
    proverbsmommy4

Answer by proverbsmommy4 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• HYLAND makes a homeopathic ear drop which relieves the pain. Most grocery stores carry it.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 7:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Do NOT put cotton balls in the ear. You want the oil in there to soothe, but it needs to be able to drain. There is a chance it could lead to an infection if the oil is confined in there....

That's per our pediatrician...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Childrens Advil works best for ear aches per an ER Dr.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• a warmed rice compress is wonderful for soothing the ear
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 9:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• it is ok if you know the home remendes but should read up on the ear problem first mine chidren get ear infections aswell and i can understand what you are going through if your boy or girl gets throwing up bad fevers and screams alot and red ears or runs take to the hospital straight away because the infection can spread if not careful.
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 2, 2009