How do I get my hubby to spend time with our baby?

Our baby boy was born a week ago and ever since we came home I've been kindda depressed. I cry everytime I'm left alone. It bothers my hubby and he is worried, but it dosn't seem to help. He works long hours and even when he comes home he acts so distant from baby. I know he might be scared and he probably dosn't have "those" feelings yet that mother gets right away. What can I do to make him see I need his mental support???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• my son is a year old and my boyfriend started playing with him a couple months ago, but still acts distant... some guys are just like that...
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 7:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• tell him what you need from him, most men dont (get it).... As the baby gets older he will have more to do with the baby but most men at this time are scared to hold, feed, or change baby because they are unsure what to do. Mostly thay are scared thay will hurt the baby... If this continues see your doctor because it could be the baby blue or PPD post- partum depression. My emotions were all over the place the frist few weeks after giving birth.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• one, sounds like maybe you have ppd and might need a little help
    two, he might be terrified to hold the baby cause he's so small and hubby doesn't want to "break" him (mine was that way with our first, after that though, he was OK)
    three, tell him what you want and need, cause otherwise, he just wont "get" it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 7:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It's normal to feel the blues. I learned that with my first (and only) child. I cried when she cried and when I can't stop her from crying. Motherhood is frustrating. Don't be afraid to ask for help and voice your opinion (in a constructive way). Give the baby to him, and say "hold her so I can have a little time to recuperate, collect my thoughts, restore my energy, and have some me time." You really do need to take a break here and there or you would go crazy. Most importantly tell your SO not how you feel but what you would appreciate he would do to help you out.
    Anonymous

• pump breast milk put it in bottles tell him how he likes to be held take the keys to the car and jet the best way to learn is thru doing and it is his child to so he needs to get over it babies cry and there is no reason why you should be the only one to listen to it
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 7:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2009