I have a cyst on one of my ovaries.....

My midwife told me it most likely will go away. I will go back in 3 months for a recheck. Anyone have this happen? I haven't had any pain.

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Health

• In march of this year I woke up in the middle of the night in big time pain. I have a very high pain tolerance (I can give birth with nothing and handle my teeth being drilled on with little Novocaine)I had my husband take me to the er and found out I had a cyst on my left ovary it was at that time the size of a golf ball. I had one before and when it burst it was mild like cramps. This time the morphine could not even make me feel better and I hate drugs. Mine grew to a grapefruit size and we had to have it removed. It was peculiar for me but almost all of my friends and I have had them. Of coarse I had to have mine removed and saved my ovary. I ended up with another functional cyst on my right. I take the birth control and it has been 1 month with great success! I admit it was scary at first but now, I feel great! Don't fret because so much can be done and everyone gets them!
    sheenieb

Answer by sheenieb at 10:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Yep! I have them on both of mine :( I was having lots of pain so I went to the doctor and that's when they discovered it. I had an ultrasound to see how big and how many. That was pretty uncomfortable too. They suggested birth control to get rid of them...I took one month and stopped because it was making me sick. I figured I'd just take tylenol when it got bad enough, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• yes i get them often and they do go away,one time i had one rupture and although it was a bit painful it wasnt anything to worry about
    nikki7376

Answer by nikki7376 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Sometimes they come and go and sometimes it may require surgery.

I have ovarian cysts that come and go once a month. They were painful when they burst, but the NuvaRing seemed to help. I had bad reactions with pills so the ring worked well.

My sister on the other hand had to get them removed. The surgery went very well and she is still able to have kids. This is pretty much uncommon though. Most people don't need surgery.

Both of us did have an ultrasound to check things though.

Take Care!!
    MamaSchmidt83

Answer by MamaSchmidt83 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Actually, every woman gets cysts every months when you ovulate. They usually dissolve on their own, the problem occurs when they don't dissolve.
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I've had the kind that resolve themselves (follicles that failed to rupture after ovulation, when on fertility meds), and the kind that needs surgery (a chocolate cyst, basically filled with old blood). That's why they recheck later, because more often than not, they go away on their own.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Yep..I have one on my right side and a few months ago I was in so much pain I almost went to the ER but it was Friday night and I knew they would be packed! I saw my obgyn and he found one a little larger then a golf ball and he said I was in so much pain because it was twisting. He put me on the Nuva Ring (cant trust me with taking a pill everyday!) and that was 2 months ago. For the last 2 days I have been feeling it again, not unbelievable like last time just knid of a dull ache. I go back 8/26 for another internal ultrasound to see if it has shrunk. I have always had them and also have PCOS but this was the first time it hurt like this. Hope all is well and take care.
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 9:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Yes I had one but it cause by mirena it got to the size of a small strawberry. I experienced a lot of pain with it. I had my mirena removed and within 8 weeks it was completely gone. Good Luck
    BlessednHappy

Answer by BlessednHappy at 9:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2008