Should I hold her back?

This August my daughter is old enough for kinder. I feel that she is smart enough and ready for it. My mom thinks she's not ready. She keeps pestering me that she's just going "to be dragged on a leash" and that she's not mature enough. Eventhough I think that it's not true every parent always sees their child as well lol better then what everyone perceives them. So how do you know it's a good idea? Tuition next year is going to cost me ( a 20 year old single mother btw) $2700, so I can't risk the chance of her not adjusting well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Who is a better judge of your daughter? You or your mom?

Since you have to pay tuition, she's not going to public school...do they prorate or do they have evaluations for kids entering kindergarten?

I have one son who turns 5 in February...he's starting kindergarten in the fall.

My second son has to be held back because his birthday is past the cut off so he will start the same year as my youngest.

My youngest will start kindergarten in September then turn 5 that following November (cut off is December 1st here). I have no intention of holding him back.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• They will test her and let you know where she is at, then you can make your decision or they you just tell you if she is ready or not.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• if you think she is ready then go for it. ppl said my 3 now 4 yr wasnt ready for pre-school well we proved them wrong he is now doing great ,the first few weeks were little ify but he managed and is doing better than some of the older kids
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 7:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• well my oldest turned 5 in August and is in kindergarten, he is alittle behind but is doing so much better each week, you just have to work with her at home(find out what they are doing in school that week) and do it at home. she'll be fine.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 7:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My daughters are both August babies...August 13, 2004 and August 16, 2005...they will both start when they are eligible...my kids are very smart...sometimes I think too smart...they may be bored...I work with them at home so that probably helps. They already use scissors, write their WHOLE names, know all the letters and sounds, and spell small words. Plus they know how to rhyme and do basic math.

Since school starts the first week of August...they will both be 4 when it's their turn to start.

I would suggest putting your daughter in a free public school for kindergarten to see how she does.
    Anonymous

• I was able to put my son in school early and he was premature too. I regret it bc he had to repeat 2 nd grade. He was doing good all the way up to 2nd grade.
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 7:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• look up the kindergarten rediness test for your state online, if you are worried about her socially ask her prek teacher, or just go observe her at school w/o you knowing. if you can, ask the school to eval her, they are the best judge, they kow the expections, just as bad as being not ready, it is almost worse to be too old and bored...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• our moms always have to put their two cents in, but ultimately the decision is up to you..even though it's hard sometimes because you're young, but you'll probably still feel like that in ten years! if you think she's ready, try it out. you aren't pushing her. you're giving her an opportunity.
    samkimber80

Answer by samkimber80 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• There is a lot of time between now and when school starts next year, so watch and see how she is doing. Read books, let her color a lot, start teaching her the sounds of the letters and how to add cheerios and m&ms and then subtract them (by eating them), but don't feel any pressure at all to put her in if you feel she's not quite ready. Kids really do a lot better when they are even a bit "over-ready" rather than having to struggle to keep up.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 9:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Can she write her name? Can she say her colors, shapes abc's and recognize them? Help her to start counting by 10', 2's and 5's. These are things that she will need to know. You do know her better then anyone. You can do it.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2009