kind of odd question,plz answer!

i just found out this morning that my cousin died. she had a baby afew months ago(she has other kids too but they r a bit older) the baby was breastfed and is now with a foster family till things get sorted out. from what ive been told they been feeding the baby with a medicine dropper because it wont eat otherwise and even with that isnt eating much.i feel aweful about my cousin but i am worried about her baby,i have a 10 week old baby and i BF and i just wanted an opinion,do you think it would be out of line or wierd to offer to donate milk for the baby so hopefully it would eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh poor baby. And I am sorry about the death of your cousin, and about her family. It would not be out of line at all to offer. Perhaps the baby won't like your milk, but at least you'll have tried.

Answer by Bmat at 7:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Not at all! I bet she would eat if it was BM. I'm sorry for your lose.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Donating your milk is a great idea - ask.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I would think that it would be a generous (I guess you could say) offer! It actually might ease their minds some that the baby would be taken care of like that! Wow! I can't imagine that situation! I would ask your dr and make sure it's okay with the baby's pediatrician though.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 8:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I say go for it. I BF both of my kids (my son is still nursing). I would do it in a heart beat. As long as you make enough milk for you baby first then do it. If you are making just enough for your child you can pump a few extra times a day to increase your supply, you can also take a couple herbal supplements to help boost your production. Good luck in whatever happens and I am sorry for your loss.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• aww I think that would be extremely generous of you! I am so so sorry to hear about your loss!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• i think that that is sweet cause idk very many other moms that would do it and just think if it was a reversed situation dont you think your cousin would do the same? i know i would.. i hope everything goes well and sorry about your and your familys lose
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I know they have milk banks for women that can't breast feed for whatever reason to get donated milk at so it certainly isn't "weird". Very nice and generous of you to offer. Would the baby take a bottle though or was it only ever on the boob? I know my first son refused to take the bottle when offered because he never had to and my second is fast becoming that way!
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 8:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• No I don't think it's weird at all! I think that's a great idea. They actually have milk banks where women can donate breast milk. Breast milk is so much better for babies than formula (not that formula is bad, though) and I think it would be very cool if I was out of the picture and someone offered to donate breast milk for my daughter, or if I was caring for a baby and someone offered. That's really sweet of you and I would go for it, if I was you.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I think that would be nice of you...however the baby might not be eating for a number of reasons. he knows his mother isn't feeding him...he doesn't like formula, doesn't want to take a bottle...even if you donated your milk he still might not eat. I don't know the situation but if they are up for adoption have you ever considered that? If so, you could breast feed the baby too or offer to try to breast feed him until he either starts to eat or gets used to it being in a bottle and then pump for him. I hope everything works out and good luck!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2009