why wont he eat?

M 4 month old is giving me a really hard time eating. He will only eat like 2 oz at a time or breastfeed for about 5 mins and he was eating his cereal but now he is even giving me a hard time about that! I feel so horrible becuase they are already worried about his weight. What could be the reason he wont eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastmilk has more calories than formula or cereal. Instead of offering solid foods or formula, breastfeed on demand. Spend a weekend curled up in bed, and let baby nurse until his heart is content. The more he nurses, the more milk you will make. Breastfeeding is a supply and demand process.

Have lots of skin to skin contact (you without a shirt on, him in only his diaper, a blanket wrapped around his back if its chilly in your house) with your baby. If you have a lot of stuff to do around the house (cleaning, another child to take care of) usually, try wearing your baby in a sling (I love my moby wrap :~) ).
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Has he started teething? My son started around that time and didnt like anything in his mouth. Teething tablets helped him.

jewilson08

Answer by jewilson08 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• He may be teething. If they are already concerned about his weight call the doc and let them know what is going on. And you should not feel horrible about it, I'm sure you didn't do anything to cause it. GL!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• many kids don't eat for issues that involve sensory integration disorder issues; they don't like the texture of food, etc. orhave physical issues that make it difficult for them to swallow (dysphagia) also may have problems with acid reflux (esp. if born early) and the reflux makes it uncomfortable to eat. your dr will prob refer you to a GI (gastroenterologist) who may do studies to see what's up. There could be issues with stomach motility or the pyloric sphincter as well. not to scare you, but look into it if your baby's growth is slowed. when a baby is not getting enough calories, the first thing that drops is the weight, the next would be the height, last is head circumference. I have a group: Children with feeding disorders / feeding tubes. we'd be glad to help!
    peanuttysmom

Answer by peanuttysmom at 8:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• me again! my first answer sounded scary; don't be scared, its probably not any of the issues that I described, but i am an advocate for feeding disorders in babies b/c i've been thru it, and hate to see a baby with a real problem not appropriately taken care of because the family or pediatrician was in denial that the baby had a legitimate problem. you'll be in my thoughts!
    peanuttysmom

Answer by peanuttysmom at 8:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• My son is almost 2 and still doesn't like to eat. When I talked to the doctor when he was a baby I asked what to do and they told me not to force the baby to eat and let them set their own pace. Getting baby multivitamins will ensure that the baby gets all that they need and they will work through it in their own time. If you see the baby is loosing weight or you feel is getting unhealthy than it may be time to take it to the doctor. Enfamil makes a great multivitamin and as long as I have been using it my son has not ever been sick other than a basic cold no matter how little he eates (and he's a big baby even without eating much).
    4Nalon

Answer by 4Nalon at 9:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2009