22 Month old not talking

My 22 month old is saying very few works. Maybe 4. I took him to the Dr and she said she was a little concerned. She said he is in the "normal" range but on the "minimal" end. Her statement has my husband and i a little worried. They gave me a # to Early Steps to get a speech evaluation done. The have not gotten back to me yet. Some of may family says not to worry he will start talking when he is ready. Others are just as worried as we are. Any thoughts??

MeLisa377

Asked by MeLisa377 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry and stress yourselves. He may have a delay, or they may just as easily say he's on target. Being stressed isn't going to help him or you, but getting the evaluation is a proactive step you can take to finding the answers you need. Even if they say there isn't a delay, they should be able to give you some ideas for getting him to talk more! I'm very pro early evaluations to rule out any problems.

Answer by missanc at 12:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2011

• I am getting my daughter set up for an evaluation, its nothing to worry about, they just come in and offer a little extra help to get things going. i would rather get the help now then wait till kindergarten and she is behind with all the other kids. when they come and do the evaluation they will also tell you if you baby needs help in other areas. Pedis are great with the well check, but they are not experts in child development, and they only spend maybe 15 minutes with your kid. The therapist you see with go in depth with just the developmental part.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 12:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2011

• i agree with you missanc and my son is two he and he is just now talking more and more and some time he talks his own langwish but i have let him talk when he is ready and he talks more and more so i think some of it is the child isnt ready to talk like every bod want him to do but that is just my opinan
    calebjenny

Answer by calebjenny at 1:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2011

• Thanks for the responses!! I am a first time mom and new to cafe mom. Signed up as a way to connect with other moms. I work from home and most of my friends have older kids. Thanks again ladies! Made me feel a little more at ease. Will definitly keep tring to get in touch with early steps.
    MeLisa377

Comment by MeLisa377 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't worry too much about him not talking. I would constantly encourage words to get him to talk by pointing to things and colors. I would try to teach him some sign language to see if that will help with his communication skills. Do you know any sign language? You can find some sign language signs on the internet if you type in baby sign language it will come up with a lot of different ways to sign eat, drink, more, milk, and so on. If you need more tips, just let me know as I am more than happy to help you.
    golden_ret24

Answer by golden_ret24 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2011

• toddlers who do things early such as walking and what not usually dont talk they put it on the back burner because they are so interested in learning rather than talking so no need to worry he will speak when he is ready
    emmy12345

Answer by emmy12345 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2011

• Please keep in mind that delay and problem aren't always hand in hand. I am no expert in child development but seen some delayed milestones in my circle of friends--all who had great concerns and completely normal children. Certainly take it seriously but don't panic. I know over and over again you here experts and fellow cafemoms say the best thing to do to a child slow on the uptake with speech at home is to continue to talk to them and to read to them lots and lots. So in the meantime while you are feeling helpless ( as a Mom I think whenever we see anything we feel is a problem even if it isn't we want to fix it) start reading lots of books and engaging your child in conversations.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2011