Do you do your own acrylic nails?

I am looking at getting a kit to do my own nails. It is a kit by ASP I don't know if that is a good brand or not. It is 30 dollars at Sally beauty supply.

funmomof2

Asked by funmomof2 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I have done my own, and I've had them done professionally. Personally, I like the gel nails. I'm not sure about that brand. I don't think I've heard of it. I always got mine from Wal Mart or a drugstore. I think the gel nails are easier on your nails, too. Acrylics tend to be a little rough on your nails. After having mine done professionally, it took over a year for them to be normal again. It took several months with the ones I did myself. The gel nails took as long as it took for me to remove them, plus maybe a few minutes or hours. That's just my personal experience, though. Good luck with them and remember to read the instructions carefully.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I don't have the patience to do my own nails anymore but I tell you what you need to do your nails in "basic kit"
    tips, glue, acrylic powder, the acrylic liquid, a brush, a file that is medium "rough", a buffer block, and a nail polish or whatever you want to put on top!

I hope you know what you're doing. its harder than you expect especially doing your right hand with your left (if you're a righty of course)
    but sallys has usually great products!
    good luck and if you need some help feel free to write me
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 8:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• by the way I prefer gel as well but in order to do gel you need a uv light! also real gel (not the one that looks like a nail polish bottle) is much more expensive up to 120 dollars.
    be sure ot to file your own nail too much! that's one of the biggest mistakes they do at a "professional" spot and since acrylic becomes attached to your nail it rips a layer off when you remove them by ripping them off! soo.. therefore be easy on your natural nail..
    good luck
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 9:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• actually, your nails would be fine, filed/roughed-up within a reasonable amount either by coarse file or drill, when you remove the artificial nails...if you SOAK THEM OFFwith acetone...you should NEVER 'rip off' the acrylic/gel/solar/tips/etc --that is what will take off your layers of natural nail, and result in unsightly nailbeds needing to grow-out damage.
    also, if you are doing your own artificial nails, i suggest using a nail PRIMER, before applying the acrylic/gel..this will allow the product to adhere properly and decrease chances for lifting.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• i agree, you should always soak your nails off. but anyway you apply or remove acrylic, i would suggest not filing your natural nail too much. all you NEED it a buffed nail so the acrylic will stick. plus think about it.. how thick is your natural nail? i see it all the time where women want to take the acrylic or gel off and their own nail is thin as as paper! in order to avoid sensitive and thin nails you should only file it as much as you really need! again good luck =)
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 9:30 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Thanks for all the great answers!! I just want to say that I did it!! I did my own nails and they actually look good!! I'm so happy!!!!!
    funmomof2

Answer by funmomof2 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• it's too hard when i do it by myself..
    Danny2106

Answer by Danny2106 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2009