Is my 19month old to old to still get a bottle at bedtime?

molly0913

Asked by molly0913 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my fourteen month old uses a sippy cup all day but at bed time she still wants that bottle. i wish i could get her off of it but if i give her the cup instead of the bottle she throws an absolute fit and will not go to sleep.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• In my opinion...yes. However, he's not my kid. (or she) But then my kids were done with the bottle at 6 months....so...consider the source. LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• If it just has water in it then I don't see a problem. It should not have milk in it because of damage to the teeth.

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• In my opinion defintely. My daughter is 21 months and hasnt had a bottle at all since she was around 14 months. She gets a sippy cup all day, and then can have a drink before bed time.... I personally dont let her got to bed with one either but mostly becuase they tend to leak. But every child is different and its up to you how to raise em :D
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Depends who You ask. proba yes!!! But its hard to get a kid off bottle/sippy/ pacifier! Id most likely would allow my kid but, I know ppl who wont. Your the mom and I havent seen anyone take their bottle to kinder so, Im sure it will be fine. Maybe its a security thing for your kid.....
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• my 14mth old stop having a bottle at 9mths. so me personally I would say that's way to long for a bottle. but everyone is different
    Zee07

Answer by Zee07 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• It all depends on what is best for YOUR family.
    My daughter still gets a bottle of water at bedtime and naptime. Without it, she just can't calm down and is a figgidity, wiggly mess. With it, she relaxes and sleeps. Since it's just water, it's not a probelm for her teeth. And she uses a sippy cup or an open cup the rest of the day. She's 29 months at this point. I've started talking about how she won't need the bottle soon and am starting to delay giving it to her until after our sleep time story. It's what works for us and that's all that matters.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• i've heard that the longer they are on the bottle the harder it is to learn real eating habits. we weaned just after 12 months, well i say weaned it was more like cold turkey, his dad was getting up with him before but as soon as i started getting up in the night, he didnt expect a bottle from me and just went back to sleep so that was the end of bottles for us. listen to what the pedi has to say and go from there.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• DO NOT listen to anyone around you that says get rid of that bottle! Unless your 19 month old is falling asleep with that bottle in their mouths (thus milk in the mouth)....
    My daughter is 2 1/2 and a little OCD-she WILL NOT give up her bottle of milk in the morning and the evening. I talked to some friends who are Pediatricians and a Pediatric Dentist and it's NOT a big deal....even to their teeth until after 3. We have talked about how 3 year olds don't use bottles and she is getting the idea it's coming to an end. But just like forcing children to potty train you will do more damage than good but forcing anything and causing stress. My daughter is very healthy and smart (on 4 and 5 year things) and her teeth are in great shape.
    (I didn't read any other comments so I apologize if I have gone against what anyone said but moms and children don't need any more stress)
    :)
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 1:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son goes to a feeding specialist and they say it is fine. He is 17 months
    tabarismom

Answer by tabarismom at 1:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2009